Deserves More Praise - 90%

PillarofModern, June 24th, 2012

I have loved the album ever since it was released and shared on youtube. I bought the special, deluxe edition, with the bonus CD about Decapitated's studio report, for such a good release deserves extra pay.

The mix is pristine, all guitars are audible and sharp as hell when you need them, the drums are perfectly loud and not overwhelming, so I find complaints about any possible "muddiness" as if it's some black metal failure bullshit, and to accuse them of over-compressing is also a sin; it's true that many famous bands may have succumbed to it (think Death Magnetic) and newbie bands with undeservedly high budgets, but for this album, it is clear that Decapitated is a highly experienced band that finally found the perfect mix and sound after only four albums deep into their career (As Stranger in a Strange Land was for Maiden).

So assume that the technology part is perfect. One can accuse them of lackluster musicianship then? Hell no! The majority of complaints I am exposed to from other reviews and YouTube are bitchings and moanings about the new singer, song structure, how Krimh can never replace Vitek, etc. I agree that the lyrics are rather juvenile and amateur, and I understand how a pseudo-Slipknot album cover can turn one off, but are you reviewing the image or the music of this awesome band?

Please! This must be the most criminally underrated album released by a great, popular extreme metal band yet. The songs are so well-composed, the riffs are complicated and a pure delight to hear, no instrument hogs the spotlight too long, and there is almost nothing wrong with the musicians themselves. "Rasta sucks." I actually prefer him over Covan. I know I'd be shot down for this blasphemy, but honestly, Rasta's pacing (in tracks like The Knife), his better deliveries of high-pitched vocals, his overall voice just triumphs over Covan's half growling, half yelling screams. Unlike Covan, who in my opinion sings to tell a story, Rasta uses the lyrics written for him to show off his excellent singing. I've grown to love Covan's vocals, but Rasta propels Decapitated into a new age, where fast, harsh vocals accompany Vogg's ripping shreds perfectly.

The song structures are placed strategically well throughout the album. The songs do a remarkable job of not sounding the same, different and powerfully composed for each one without sounding over-calculated or improvised. We even get clean-guitar intros and instead of climaxing with an all-out blitzkrieg for the finale, we have a poignant clean instrumental dubbed "Silence."

Shatter all myths that the band has turned "deathcore" and sold out, this is technical death metal, at its finest. This is the type of album that you can actually enjoy listening from beginning to end. There's enough variety to keep you compelled and headbanging with maximum pleasure. In no way is this a "shitty" album, for the dual union of perfect technology and musicianship make this into the perfect album.