Infernal Poop - 15%

Villain, July 12th, 2006

Despite what some would have you believe, an album that sounds like it was recorded in a toilet through a walkie talkie is not automatically a classic. There has to be at least some substance to the music to make a good record. Whether that substance comes into being through good songwriting or creating atmosphere or anything else, you simply do not have a good record without it.

To get straight to the point, I'd rather jump off a tall building than listen to this album from start to finish. It has a few moments where you get a glimpse of what Deathspell Omega would become, but they are few and far between. It's simply not worth the effort to wade through the sea of noise to find them.

The production would make Nocturno Culto cringe in agony. Yes, it's that bad. To be fair, I'm not opposed to this kind of recording. I enjoy early Darkthrone and even a few of their clones, but this is utterly horrible.

I won't even bother to differentiate between the 'album' portion of this record and the 'demo' portion because they are both equally horrible.

If the point of this album was to inflict inhuman torture on the listener, then I suppose this record could be considered a success. Otherwise, it fails in every aspect.

The good news is that they made leaps and bounds between this recording and their next few releases. I would even go so far as to say that they revolutionized black metal with Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice. This, however, is an entirely different beast and should be avoided.

Start with any of the early splits or Inquisitors of Satan if you like raw black metal. Si Monumentum... and everything after are required listening for ANY fan of extreme metal.

Avoid this one unless you're looking for a headache, but there are more pleasant ways to get a headache.