Deathrash till you drop! - 88%

Velkaarn, October 25th, 2005

It took me strangely long to get to hear Deathchain on album, I've experienced them live several times so I know they can tear your head from your shoulders, kick your nuts up to your lungs and have you smile through it all.
However, I wasn't certain whether their ferocious deathrash would do a thing on the album, without the energy and feel of the live environment.

Well, this debut already shows me I had nothing to fear, they manage to carry a lot of the intensity and energy of the live shows into the studio with them. The production work backs up the songs well, without making the whole sound either too polished.

The opener "Chaos Wartech" makes a statement right from the beginning and anyone worthy of reading this website will know what to expect from the point when Rotten yells "GO!" Rapid fire drumming and riffing ensues with raspy thrashy screaming supplemented by more deathly growls. It's not a headlong plunge into the speed kills-tunnel, however, as tempo changes periodically to keep things interesting. We are treated great, heavy midpaced bang-your-heads moments. The soloing reinforces the thrash feeling greatly. The main vocal style reminds me of At The Gates sligthly, and that's never a bad thing in my book.

"Rabid Vultures" is a heavy, mid-tempo thrasher. It shreds, simple and effective, building a good momentum around the chorus without speeding up much.

More death? Well, "Poltergeist (The Nemesis)" adds to the DEATHrash and is very intense. The fourth song "March Of The Thousand Legions" continues with the technical deathrash, with background chanting of "MARCH!" adding heaviness to the chorus. Sounds great! At 01:48 a really cool solo part starts, followed by alternating death growls and thrash screams.
Another chorus with the chanting, some riffing and the song ends with one final "MARCH!" and a sample. A standout track.

The follower "Carnal Damage" starts very in-your-face, as if worried whether it gets noticed after the previous awesome track. It's good, but not as memorable as "March..." no matter how much it thrashes and rages. The chorus is somehow unsatisfactory... well, can't hit the jackpot everytime.
I love the next track "Undertaker" just for the opening, it rules in hell. If only the song itself was as good... It goes quite straight ahead, full speed for the majority of its duration. Not bad, but I expected a bit more! After the initial slight dissappointment it grows on you as you listen to it few more times. Has also a cool solo part at 02:50!

"Skeletal Claws" comes next and they do the good old "bad demo sound into full blast"-trick for the start. The sound itself has excellent thrash riffing and great use of dual vocals. Another favourite! Complete with Slayeresque soloing.

The bass bit in the beginning of "Carrier Of Pestilence" is somewhat surprising and neat, refreshing. This the longest of the album's tracks, clocking 04:25, and has many good parts. I'm just not too wild about the use of the low, mumbly growls used here, but they don't ruin a great track. Last we have the title track which is another unrelenting assault, very brutal.

With a total playtime of 32:50 this is a very tight and intense package, which is just the way it should be with this genre. Great musicianship, good vocals and general headbangability level is high, so what more do you need? They're not re-inventing metal, but that's not the point either is it? Go and dig this up and if possible try to see them live as well.

Deathchain = Audio Whiplash - 83%

Monstro_City, February 9th, 2005

I am not an enormous fan of this band. But I can certainly see why others would be. So forgive me if I begin to appear a little fanatic about them. I’m just trying to deliver the facts. And the fact is, these guys fucking kick ass. They are definitely a credit to their genre, not Metal in general, but Thrash/Death Metal in and of itself. I was initially turned off by this genre when I found Darkane (being a very shallow band, and very one dimensional in generic sound). Because of my hypocritical lumping, I was soured by Thrash/Death and didn’t bother to have my flame of interest relit until I heard Grimfist for the first time. Don’t make my mistake. For all of you who have been ill-convinced that there is no other band out there that can hold a candle to (old) Sepultura, rejoice! Here comes Deathchain!

To combine genres takes am intuitive mind, some succeed and others don’t. Deathchain has succeeded. With flying colors. While they may not bring anything new to the listener (which should not always be the case when determining a band’s worth) “Deadmeat Disciples” is an exhilarating album that cannot only be used as a steppingstone to other genres, but is a contribution to the Metal world that you will not easily forget! It being the perfect blend of Thrash/Death Metal that it is, the collaboration between both genres has been achieved and mastered. While (like Darkane) these bands will have a repetitive Thrash Drummer who offers nothing but speed, Deathchain pursues a much more intelligible Percussion style, that may not possess as much depth as a Sepultura’s tribal influenced style, but leans towards a more Death influenced style that is far more technical. Furthermore, their Singer must also be mentioned, who may not be “Vocalist of the Year” but must be congratulated for the growling that was very well performed and thrown into the mix along with the standard Thrash Yelling!

Now, all a fan of this band must be looking for is a good Head Bang. You won’t get much else. But that will be a damn good Head Bang. Deathchain’s riffs are, well, predictable; but still delivered wrathfully and without remorse. All of which are enjoyable completely without remorse. Understand that they are one of those bands that one can’t help but like; they are the perfect definition of Metal. In fact, they actually give their Bassist a few moments in the sun that are not only brutal – but even rather funky. At least, funky compared to the rest of the album whereas the Bass is overpowered. Nevertheless, you’ll forget about all o’ that when the Guitarist starts soloing. This is where the THRASH comes in! Correction: this is where the THRASH rips through and annihilates. I understood that this was also nothing new or original, but wow, it was stellar. Some how, the Guitarist has some kind of style where he outdoes every solo he has just done previously song after song. His marginal propensity to thrill an audience is unparalleled (keeping in mind that the last statement is intended to operate within the boundaries of Thrash/Death, I wasn’t implying that he is the next Yngwie). However, he doesn’t solo in every song. Much of the reason I consider his solo talent outstanding is because he doesn’t abuse the privilege. He doesn’t shred in directions that the band cannot follow, and more importantly; doesn’t go anywhere (the best example I can think of is Dushan Petrossi of Magic Kingdom, who completely forgets he has a band and solos for way too long).

To foreshorten these perspectives, buy this CD if you want a great Head Bang. This won’t be a widely celebrated album, nor will it be on anybody’s top ten list. However, if ravenous brutality is something that must be heard to satisfy thy fierce desires, look no further. Deathchain has no limits to their vicious sound.

SHUT UP AND HEADBANG! - 90%

meedley_meedley, September 13th, 2004

This is what I've been wanting to hear for almost half a year. Great riffs, intense speed, awesome leads, and killer vocals. This thrashes. Throaty vocals and double bass complete it. I can't get enough of this album. For a debut album, the production is top notch.

Choas Wartech thrashes from the word "GO!". No really, it does. Simply great leads.

Rabid Vultures has some nice, dark riffs and creeps right into your skin with the heaviness.

Poltergeist (The Nemisis) has some nice death/groove riffs thoughout. The drums just kick your ass until it's black and blue. And then kicks some more. This is kind of like a more intense Testament ala Demonic and The Gathering. The mid-section make you bang your head like it's gonna explode (Hell, it may)

March of the Thousand Legions will send chills down your spine. More insane riffs. This one does not let up. When the chant of "MARCH! MARCH! MARCH!" comes in, bow down! Then stay there for the awesome solo section afterwards.

Just when you think you've had enough, Carnal Damage comes in and doesnt give a damn if you're through. There's some old school Slayer-like riffs in some places as well. The ride cymbal must be having a heart attack as the 6/8 part. Simply mind blowing.

Undertaker is again Slayer-ish at start, but moves to some heavy and fast stuff. The drums are probably most technical here than anywhere else on the album. Groove's on to some crushing material and just doesnt let up for anyone.

Skeletal Claws scares the hell outta you when the fake bad production in the beginning turns into all killer! For some reason, slayer-like riffs appear again, but this is the last of it.

Carrier of Pestilence is the stand out track here. Has a very nice grooving riff from the bass then onto everyone. This is very thrashy indeed. The chorus also sticks out from everything else. Real throaty vocals here.

The title track is most intense with the vocals. There's more death riffs instead of dark thrash riffs, and provides you with a hell of a ride. This is also the other stand out track. Interesting how the stand outs are at the end. But no matter. Great way to close the album.

Most songs here are about the same tempo and speed, but it doesnt really matter because most songs stick out anyway and it's just so damn good. This album reminds us that there's still some good thrash bands out there.