Different - in a good way! - 83%

Madsorceror, July 16th, 2005

Let's get this out of the way first - Act III sounds nothing like The Ultra-Violence. Textbook thrash this is not, what we have here is a fusion of thrash, funk, and punk. For some people, this is a turn off, but it is my opinion that Act III is a more thought out, more cohesive effort than The Ultra Violence.

Things kick off with with a bang - the crash of waves exploding into a hyperspeed riff fest. Chorus vocals and sufficient riffing are replete with thrash, but the underlying melody has a distinct funk vibe to it.
Funk? That's right kiddies, Death Angel kick your ass not merely with riffs and solos, but with thick bass and plenty of melody! Apparently, this is frowned upon, and I have to admit, it took me a while to get into it, but Act III is a damn catchy album! The two ballads on the album are decent, and showcase the Death Angel's excellent guitar work, but it's songwriting on tracks like "Seemingly Endless Time", and "Discontinued" that really impress me - thrashtacular stuff!

In the end what we have is healthy mixture of old-school thrash with related, complimenting musical styles that give the world of "Kill 'em All" style thrash new life and energy.

While not the best album out there, Act III is fairly memorable and worth a few spins. Reccomended.