Born Dead - 55%

Muse_Perverse696, May 19th, 2012

Deadman's Blood is a bare boned death metal act from the UK with its sole member being the same person behind the black metal band Witchclan. This demo surprised me a bit, mostly due to the production rather than the performance. You see, the guitars sound like they were recorded with a mike right next to the amp. Yet they are so quiet, compared to most of the other instruments they seem to be a whisper; rather than the axe coming down on your skull. Don't get me wrong, the distortion is excellent it has a wonderful Carnage/Nihilist fell to them but it is not expansive; it sounds very isolated, very remote. Due to this, it never achieves the needed atmosphere that is needed to pull of this type of distortion; not as well as others say Coffins or Grave Ritual.

The drum machine is rather well programed, I haven't ran into too many with more variation than this one has shone but it's rather evident that a human would do well to enhance the performance, the only real problem I have is with how it sounds; too clean, nearly crystal clear. Hell, it sounds so out of place I would have given a higher rating without drums altogether. The bass is there and mostly stays behind the guitars except on occasional breakthrough (for example near the end of "Buried in the Park"). The vocals remind me of Dead's whisper/scream but with more of a growl, they're not bad at all and do well to fit the music; I only wish the guitars where in their position.

If I sound mechanical it's because this release this release is painfully average, everything here is too quiet (except the drum machine) to be even remotely effective. The riffs are good, ever great at times; all three songs have at least one head banging-worthy moment in them but everything is too damn quiet to replay for any reason. Yes the riffs are good but they are not prominent, they are not what is focused on in the production but yet they are the focus of the songwriting.

This isn't bad for a first demo, the riffing is better than I expected but the production is too uneven to hear more than two or three times at the most. All in all, this is not something I would call essential to own, if you enjoy any of the old death metal revival that has been happening the last several years look elsewhere; because Deadman's Blood has a ways to go.