Straight up Doom - 77%

Zephirus, August 12th, 2011

Daylight Dies are one of those bands that get by on the quality of their songs. There is no other gimmick to hide behind, nothing quirky (even their logo and album covers are pretty boring) they are just straight up doom metal. So they would easily go unnoticed maybe. They did with me anyway, I only discovered them this year through a friend who recommended the ‘No Reply’ album, an older epic of heavy doom.

If you are a fan of older Opeth/Katatonia or the last October tide you’ll be in familiar territory here. The vocals by Nathan Ellis are verging on death metal, with a powerful delivery very much in the foreground. The songs are lengthy enough but never drag on. The twin guitars compliment each other with their melodies and they make great use of sombre picked arpeggios in most songs and nice lead breaks at other times.

Most songs are fairly midpaced, this is not slowwww doom, and you have double bass drums from time to time as with song ‘A subtle Violence’. Following on seamlessly from the aforementioned song is ‘and a slow surrender’ a beautiful instrumental with some lovely strings. ‘Woke up lost’ will stand out as they try a different approach with clean sung vocals which aren’t too bad at all (I can’t help but think of Opeth when I hear them) He doesn’t have too much to say here as the lyrics are pretty sparse, part of which are (where two walls meet and two eyes rest / I am moving with no meaning). They are a doom metal band and the lyrics reflect this with themes of hopelessness and loneliness. He returns to clean vocals for ‘Last Alone’.

Being new to the band I’m not in a position to say where this sits in their career so far but on its own merits it’s a solid album. It’s not perfect, maybe lacking in some diversity as one song sometimes sounds the same as another. The artwork on this one is pretty simple but striking, the silhouette of a child? in mourning it seems. The booklet and tray continue the theme with other shadowy figures languishing in some unknown gloom, almost invisible unless you tilt the booklet to get the right light to see them. An honest doom outing then, I think most fans of the genre will find something to like.

Aug 2011