A Spot On Execution, But Lacking Emotional Depth - 60%

Shirt_Guy, June 26th, 2008

Your entering into a world of the romantic, melancholic, melodic death/doom inspired by old Paradise Lost, Anathema and My Dying Bride, and also bringing in a few elements that would appeal to some of those Opeth fans.

Now I don’t know what it is about Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth, but his growl just has a certain powerful and pleasing tone, and people probably shouldn’t be surprised that other vocalists want that same tone. It’s happened several times, but now when I make the comparison to Mikael Åkerfeldt, and I’m starting to wonder if bands are now intentionally trying to sound like him. At this point in time, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad trait, although before I did make such comparisons on a completely positive note, but now it’s getting to the point where I’m hoping many vocalists will try and truly find their own voice.

The music itself was actually quite easily described above if your at familiar with those doom/death band, as the prime suspects are all worn as influences here. Some slightly lighter, more progressive moments show up later in the album with songs that have almost completely clean singing.

With this particular form of doom, the purpose isn’t to crush the listener into submission, but to create an atmosphere of romantic depression, the sort of album death metal dudes throw on when they’re bummed about their girlfriend, but when lyrics about zombies and serial killers simply won’t do. Unfortunately, by the time you get to the end, you realize that the execution was picture perfect, which therein lies the problem. Paradise Lost, Anathema and My Dying Bride had to forge new ground to feature their depression while Daylight Dies merely recycles it, greatly diminishing the emotional impact. Lets also face it, there’s a lot of music out there about relationships in general, and other bands have found other subject matter to live in misery with. If I knew someone who was willing to give such doom/death a chance for the first time, I’d likely tell them to go right for the older albums from Paradise Lost, Anathema or My Dying Bride before taking a stab at “Lost to the Living”.

Originally posted at www.waytooloud.com