Mikael Akerfeldt meets Katatonia - 82%

Blazfemur, January 29th, 2013

I first got into Daylight Dies when I had the pleasure of seeing Emperor some odd years ago when they toured the US and Samoth hadn't joined them due to the church burning spree of the '90s.

Daylight Dies opened for them. Aside from their music, they were a quiet, taken back band that didn't say much or even try to build up the crowd too much (in fact, there was a moment Nathan Ellis [vox] had said, "don't worry, just a few more songs and then Emperor has quite the show for you"). Truth be told, I had never heard anything like DD ever before that set including the melodies and acoustics layered with chugging and Mikael vocals. It was a dream, and I had found my gateway into doom metal.

DD doesn't need a gimmick, corpse paint, leather vests or stage theatrics. Their primary focus is their lead guitar, in my opinion, with Nathan shining throughout. On this album in particular the guitarist really takes the front. This isn't funeral doom metal either, so those of you that can't take the drone-like slowness, this is a great band to introduce you to a faster-paced melancholic doom experience.

While just as (if not more) memorable as their previous album (Dismantling Devotion), this album takes solemnity to new heights. The opening track, "Cathedral", introduces the album with an acoustic riff layered with a shredded lead, and henceforth sets the stage for the rest of the experience. Between metaphorical lyrics and symbolism, Mr. Ellis accompanies his band mates perfectly, vocally painting a landscape of a desolate, but once majestic monument left in ruin.

My favorite track(s) on this album is the epic song two-parter "A Subtle Violence", which leads then into its outro, "...And a Slow Surrender". By themselves, they stand out as the guitars express just as much pain as the lyrics that accompany them.

I know I've went on and on about the guitars and the vocals/lyrics and that's why this review is an 82%. While not overly complex, the drums can be replaced by anyone (he's definitely not a Nick Barker, Inferno, or Hellhammer) and the bass could also be more pronounced as the guitars do take center stage.

In the end, for what they stand for, Daylight Dies doesn't need an overly complex drummer or a bass that you'd find on any Deicide album. They get the job done and they do it well, if not depressingly so.

Top standout tracks: A Subtle Violence/...And A Slow Surrender, At A Loss.

Definitely give this album a listen and pick up their other albums as well.