Blasphemous Ex-Cyber Goths Play Metal - 90%

Talong222, April 13th, 2012

First of all, let me explain that Genocide Chapters is the first metal release from Dawn of Ashes. That's right, these cybergoths dressed in bloodstained aprons and respirators grabbed guitars, took out the electro, chugged some absinthe, and played some good old metal. And I must say, for their first metal release these crazy guys sure know what they're doing.

The unholy album kicks off with the first track, Conjuration of the Maskim's Black Blood. Atmospheric keys and catchy guitar riffs create a pretty upbeat mood, and I find it hard to not start moshing every time I play this song. The guitars themselves are pretty well-executed throughout the entire album, and there are even a couple of solos near the end that are guaranteed to raise the hairs on your neck. Unfortunately, the bass guitar is inaudible for most parts of the album, which was a little disappointing to me. As far as the synthesizers go, they're not meant to be played through the whole song, but more as an added element to stimulate that feeling of horror. Genocide Chapters also presents us with some pretty gut-wrenching drumming. They don't need to overdo the double bass or rapidly hit the snare over and over again to get their really heavy sound. Sure, they've got some fast riffs, but not the kind of drumming you'd get out of 90% of most blackened death metal bands. And finally, the vocals are also done well. Kristof Bathory has his own unique scream that's not too far from what you would expect for a blackened death metal release, but it still has its own signature sound.

This album is quite impressive for a group of ex-cybergoths dishing out metal for the first time. Not to say that I don't like their old aggrotech stuff as well, because I can listen to either of their styles and enjoy it. But seriously, this album kicks ass. It's completely different from their old stuff, but as a stand alone album, Genocide Chapters delivers us some blasphemous, unholy tunes. Bottom-line: a pretty solid release that I would recommend to any metal head friend of mine.