Enigmatic, perpetual and blissful. - 96%

TheDoorToDeceit, February 10th, 2010

Donkelheet, an enigmatic band enfolded in cloud of anonimity. Only to be contacted through a record label, silent over years yet releasing tons of impossible to find demos. Nowadays, some of these demos are downloadable on the known mediums, but as I am still one of those types who only buys music rather than downloading it, I can only tell something about this particular song on the split with DNS. You will have to excuse me, as my review will only cover the Donkelheet part.

Music-wise, we're talking blackened doom metal here, and I would say it's an inch from being slow enough to be called funeral doom. The tones are repetitive and monotonous, the sound is analog-powered and the atmosphere is bone chilling. This piece of music is the very example of how dark music should sound. Though only ten minutes, the sound of the song has something perpetual to it. The repetitiveness of the particular tune played in this song gives you some kind of drifting feeling. As if you're nearly touching the void on a lightless journey... Needless to say, the feeling of the music is quite melancholic, depressive even, although the eerie way of the guitar playing might give you some kind of blissful feeling. It's like the pain you're feeling is the salvation you've been waiting for your whole life. The vocals drag you along in this feeling, as do the drums which seem to be covered up in the background. It wouldn't surprise me if this was recorded in a rehearsal room with insufficient drum recording material, but in this case, it's not a bad thing at all. The atmosphere is just right, near perfection.

A very impressive piece of music, worth buying, if you are able to track it down. This LP is rather rare these days, and people have been known to pay heavy amounts of money for it. Will there ever be more material from Donkelheet? Who can tell? This release is from 2003, and the recording is probably even older. Time will tell if years of silence will be broken by this band. Listening to their side of the vinyl over and over again, I sure might hope so.