Rusted Angel II - 75%

K_a_z_u_y_a, June 7th, 2005

Thank God they didn't continue down the path Expanding Senses was leading them. With this release, it certainly seems as though Darkane have turned back to their roots, and, while I enjoyed Insanity, it just wasn't as solid as Rusted Angel.

Then we've got Layers Of Lies.

The guitars are tight and precise which seems to be the norm for Darkane, and as usual the drums are fast, thrashy, and always on the ball with a lot of cymbal work, and the bass is just... there, doesn't really seem to make much of an appearance, although I haven't got the ears for listening for little things like bass. Solos and leads always abound, in the usual Darkane fashion, very melodic and mid paced. ..and the intro!

Yes, there actually is an intro to this album, unlike "Expanding Senses," titled "Amnesia Of The Wildoerian Apocalypse," yeah, that title deserves a hearty "wtf." And, while it's good, it doesn't seem as... as... I dunno the words to describe, 'epic'-esque would probably do the trick, as, say "Calamitas," or even "Intro," but it still gets the job done, and does it well.

All in all, it's a good album, but it gets to a point where it seems a little too much like Rusted Angel. Change is always a good thing (unless it's a change like Expanding Senses) when used the right way, but too little change can lead to something becoming repetitive.

The only things that detract the score from being an 85, perhaps even 90, is that it got to a point where, as I said, it became too much like Rusted Angel. Oh, and that 36 second instrumental didn't do much for the score.

If you're a Darkane fan, I'd recommend this one in an instant, but if you had your fill of Rusted Angel the first time around, perhaps you should skip this.