Dark Promise's Night of Misery EP - 57%

MystifyXD, September 16th, 2010

Now here we go again with Syria’s Demon of Darkness’ black metal project, Dark Promise, with their (or rather, his) debut EP, “Night of Misery”, which was released just this year.

The EP only contains two tracks, namely “Oath of Darkness” and “The Existence of Failure”, with a total length of a little bit more than seven minutes. Like the Nokturnal Forest demo I reviewed before, the EP still has that “kvlt” production. I don’t have a problem with the drums being set at a low volume (during mixing), but the problem here is the album’s fuzzy sound. The raspy vocals could still do some more improvements, though it’s certainly appropriate in a DSBM song. Now let’s talk about the two songs here. First, we have “Oath of Darkness”, which sends the feeling of coldness to the listener with its ferocity. It’s also the longer song among the two. Lastly, we have “Existence of Failure”, which is the gloomier song among the two (very evident from the riffs). Unfortunately, the riffs are quite generic, and the repetition of those riffs made it even more generic.

Although the EP have set the right mood, I have to say that its ordinariness might have made this album, unfortunately, a forgettable one. I hope that Demon of Darkness will put some variety (by variety, I mean it from the riffs to the vocals to the drumbeats) on his next album (whether this one or his other projects)!

Originally made for http://mystifymyserie.blogspot.com

Failure Does Exist, This is It - 28%

Five_Nails, August 23rd, 2010

The third EP of Syrian black metal project, Dark Promise delivers more of the same, the old formula of cold, dark sound, terrible production, unimaginative, one dimensional music, and the distinction of “raw black metal” to be an excuse for it.

The first song, “Oath of Darkness” has some aggressive drumming to it and early on very Venom sounding riffing to open it, but with all the feedback from the amps, this song is as audible as the other two Dark Promise demos. At around two minutes, there is a rising tremolo section that keeps on through the rest of the song and becomes boring after the first fifteen seconds or so before a solo comes up. The vocals are terrible, nothing new about that, but somehow may have gotten worse as the music doesn’t come with a lyrics sheet anymore featuring two word lines in broken English.

The second track, “The Existence of Failure” has a very depressive sounding riff to it giving the song a melancholy sound early on but as the song kicks further into gear, the melancholy riff begins to sound more evil as it progresses, the drums speed up, and the vocals move forward. As the song continues, the mix muddies a lot as some very unnecessary atmospheric synth is added before the song fades out. In all, this track sounds better produced than the previous one, and as a first, has a structure to it with a clear direction that makes it passable while it still fails to impress with such singular drumming and pretty much one riff for the entire song.

As only two songs clocking in at less than eight minutes, this Dark Promise release is the best so far. It seems that less is more when it comes to this band as the more Dark Promise tries to write, the worse the music gets.