Not highly original, but well executed - 80%

Black_Metal_Bastard, October 31st, 2003

This is the second album from these German Melodic Black Metallers, and while I can't say that it is very original, it is pretty good. All the instruments are pretty clear, and the vocals shift between rasps, female vocals, and clean spoken word parts.

The production is actually really good. It was recorded in Grieghallen studios in Norway, where many of the classic BM bands recorded some of their albums, such as Emperor, Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc. This alone could make someone automatically give this a 100 rating, but where it is recorded doesn't make a damn, so that this is why I am giving it an 80.

This album reminds me a lot of Dimmu Borgir. The vocals in particular sound very much like Shagrath circa Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, and the music circa Spiritual Black Dimensions, where sometimes the keyboards take total control. The guitars are very well played, with some thrashy riffing and some complex arrangements. There is even a little mixture of some old school BM thrown in here and there, with some parts sounding like they came from Dark Funeral's music. Anyway. The drums sound very good. The blast beats are clear and the double bass work is excellent. The bass is even audible, what a surprise, considering this is BM, not Prog Rock. It all makes for an enjoyable album, with an intro that sounds very much like Fear and Wonder from Dimmu's Puritanical... album, to me anyway.

Bottom line: You like your BM melodic, then this is the album for you. If you like it raw and dirty, then maybe you should stay away from this and get yourself some Darkthrone or early Mayhem.