Urgh - 45%

Aetheraeon, March 2nd, 2008

No. Just no. That is all that can be said about this album as far as I am concerned. I tried, honestly, I did try and pretty hard too, but there really is not all much about this album that I find attractive or interesting. “Minus Exitus” is already the fifth full-length effort by this German melodic death metal outfit and judging by the music that they have come up with on this album, I am not too surprised I had never heard about this band before receiving the promo. For anyone that wants a short summary of the rest of the review; the album contains 12 songs (or some 50 minutes) of music that is utterly predictable and never comes anywhere near memorable or exciting.

Melodic death with some pretty strong metalcore tendencies would probably be the clearest way to describe this album. The guitars play anything from up-tempo rhythms to slow start-stop riffs, but there is none of it is really surprising and none of it made me want to go back and listen to the album again. There are too many songs on the album where the guitars keep playing sustained notes and there is not much else going on. Basically, this sounds like an album that would be played heavily on MTV. The bass guitar is inaudible and the drums are pretty generic, consisting mostly of short double bass taps and straightforward playing. A lot of songs have rather throwaway choruses put in somewhere and of course there will be people calling the choruses catchy, but they are just too mundane and poppy for a metal band to get away with this. And to top it all off, the album ends with a cover of U2’s ‘October’, which is probably the most surprising thing that occurs on the entire CD and not all that bad.

“Minus Exitus” is not a very good album in that there are no surprises and nothing that will be turning any heads. Not even using a sample of Morgan Freeman in ‘Se7en’ (on the song ‘Seven’…) or Niklas Sundin’s disappointing artwork can save this album. There might be something in here that will appeal to fans of bands like In Flames or Dark Tranquillity. I just would not really want to risk recommending this to anyone. If you do end up liking this, you might be happy to know that there will be a special edition with a bonus DVD containing footage of a live show. Buy at your own risk, though.