Not Half Bad - 80%

corviderrant, January 27th, 2005

This is sure as hell not "Blackaciddevil" (thank goodness), I find it a good strong return to form on Danzig's part. The electronica/industrial influences were far more evenly integrated into the music, with the guitar making a welcome comeback into Danzig's sound. And a loud comeback at that; practically every song features prominent, pummeling, downtuned riffing that occasionally has a whiff of nu-metal, but I was relieved to see that this is far from anything of that sort. The riffing is far too strong and musically able to be nu-metal suckage, I am glad to say.

You still get yer weirdo electronic bits here and there, like the intro to "East Indian Devil Song", for example, with its creepy reversed female vocals, and the more subdued trip hop sounding stuff like "Cold Eternal", which is Glenn's most hushed and moving vocal performance on the album. His vocal dynamics come more into play on this album and he uses them well, with his softer vocals on the verses of opener "Five Finger Crawl" alternating with his trademark throaty wail on the chorus as a prime example.

Other than softer songs like "Cold Eternal", the nutbashers are more in evidence than before; "Five Finger Crawl", "Lilin" (his bluesy bawling is in especially fine form on this one), "East Indian Devil Song" post intro, the title track, and "Cult Without a Name" will show you that he still has it and how when it comes to blowing people's hair back. That last one has some more of his soft crooning and is a mindblower, winding down to a whisper in the middle until it nearly dies out altogether--then it roars back to smash you into the wall with bulldozing intent! Excellent production too, I might add, this album features--a sharp and full drum sound with thick guitars and bass.

Give Glenn a chance with this one, he will earn your respect back again if you lost it after hearing "Blackaciddevil", like I did. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Still Satan's Child Underneath It All - 77%

Metal_Scythe, April 29th, 2003

I managed to find this album really cheap and in mint condition for I couldn't pass it up. Satan's Child sure isn't a "How The Gods Kill" or "Lucifuge", but underneath the electornica influence Glen is still the same Danzig lyrically and vocally. Die hard Danzig fans will find reconize the style of songs like "Five Finger Crawl", "Cult w/Out a Name", and "Firemass" (which would have fit nicely on 4). Satan's Child doesn't rely entirely on electronica and industrial sounds like "Blackaciddevil" did but there are still songs that use synthethizers and some distorted vocal parts, like "East Indian Devil (Kali's Song)", "Unspeakable", and the title track "Satan's Child". There are also two songs "Into the Mouth of Abandonment" and "Apokalips" that have very different strong bass and drum intros, that have an almost funk or rap influence to them, after the intros both songs again utilize the electronic style, but still blend it in with some guitar work, the songs are in no way rap or hip hop they just have strong bass intros which are common among most african music. Vocally Glenn is still strong as ever despite the few voice distortions, I have often referred to him as the "King of Choruses" and even if the song musically is not exciting Glenn makes up for it with his awesome lyrics and vocal gift, why he would want to distort his voice in the first place is still unclear to me. Underneath the continued electronic experimentation Glenn still has a firm grasp lyrically on what he has always loved and believed in, satan, sacrifice, S&M, and lucifer. My favorites on this album are "Five Finger Crawl", "Unspeakable", "Cult w/Out a Name", "Firemass", and "Satan's Child. Another thing that I really liked about this album was the cover art, the cover is very appealing and compelling with a painting of Glenn being portrayed as a overpowering demon with blood soaked hands, and the cd inlay also features some cool photos and of the band and other female acquiantes in the typical dark manner. If you are a die hard Danzig fan and don't have this album, or have been unsure about purchasing it, my advice to you is to give this album a chance, its much better then 5, but still isn't the classic Danzig fans came to love, just listen to the album with an open mind and you will grow to enjoy it.