Brief but good - 100%

SleepingFinger, April 9th, 2011

This EP is definitely one of my favorites from D.R.I. and is a classic release. It came out in 1984, one year after the "Dirty Rotten LP" and one year before "Dealing With It", although it's musically more along the lines of the first album than the second. "Violent Pacification" is only about six minutes long and contains only four songs, but it's not remotely disappointing. The songs are fast and great just like on the "Dirty Rotten LP".

The music itself is very fast in general, but has it's slower moments too. The guitar isn't heavy but is made up for in speed, it has the typical punk guitar sound. The drums are pulverizing fast yet still simplistic as usual. The bass is really only audible on the song "Violent Pacification", unfortunately .Kurt Brecht's vocals are hollered and are said so fast that what he says is often unintelligible. The production is a little bit gritty but it's still quite acceptable, which is often the case with punk. Nothing to complain about.

And now onto the songs themselves. "Running Around"starts off with a brief shout and then is accompanied by a catchy but very fast riff that is repeated throughout the song, which is only about a minute long. "Couch Slouch" is also similar to the previous song because of the repeated riff throughout the song, but this song has a slower breakdown in the middle of the song and contains a different riff. "To Open Closed Doors" is a little slower than the previously mentioned songs and the drumming is less intense, and instead of a chorus Kurt repeats the words "I pray" sixteen times, still a good song though. Last but not least is the self titled song "Violent Pacification", and is about three minutes long which makes it the longest song on this EP. This song starts of with some catchy bass riffs and then it gets speedy, but it's misleading because then it becomes slow for the rest of the song. There's a pretty cool chorus but the lyrics mainly consist of Kurt yelling "Violent pacification!".

D.R.I. would adapt more metal influences after this but this here is good quality punk. If you are a metalhead that is interested in punk rock then this is a great start. D.R.I. influenced many thrash metal bands and after listening to this EP you will see why. Give a punk a chance and give this a listen!