Bit of a Weak Spot - 79%

DawnoftheShred, December 1st, 2006

This was my first D.R.I. album, but I still can't seem to get into it like I can every one of their other releases. There's something about it that seems a little off, a little bland, a little uninspired. After listening to the band's earlier releases, the reason became apparent.

After having successfully crossing over into thrash metal, things were looking up for the Infidels, but then for their first real thrash album we get this. It's almost as if they ran out of ideas for this one. Though there are a few exceptions, the lyrics come off as uninspired and repetitive. Same goes for the riffs, and a lot of the songs end up having the same feel. The only real standout song in either department is the killer "Suit and Tie Guy." Gone also is the intense speed of their earlier albums. No doubt 4 of a Kind is a fast thrash album, but it's not even close to matching the fury of any of their first three albums. It's also a bit too produced. The new guitar tone sounds a lot weaker than the tone on Crossover, and the generally chord based riffs don't help. The bass drum sound is weaker as well. When compared to any of the band's other albums, 4 of a Kind is the least heavy, the least speedy, and the least memorable.

But overall, it's actually a decent album, only paleing in comparison to the band's other releases. Had those albums not set the bar so high, this release would look a hell of a lot better. 4 of a Kind has its moments, but if you're new to D.R.I, this isn't the place to start your research.