No Ewoks Were Harmed In The Writing Of This Review - 92%

Raumien, December 30th, 2003

Let me say this now, the lyrics sound like Star Wars mixed with the Zelda games, with a drunken Lord Of The Rings fan thrown in. They are pretty interesting, just be prepared for something a little unusual. ;)

The vocals are a sort of weird higher-pitched than average growl. It's understandable after a listen or two...but it's just not that great.

The guitar, oh damn do I love it. Very interesting and slick riff work as well as killer solos. Easily some of the best guitar shredding I've heard on a death album.

The drums are very fun to listen to, from the above-average pounding double bass that is intelligently placed to the good snare and cymbal work. Not your average rolling double bass while hitting the snare every beat style of drumming, and it really brings the quality level up.

The bass is a little quiet on the album, but you can hear Fredrick Larsson playing pretty quickly along with their dual guitar attack. Very accurate with the rest of the instruments.

Act I: The Proclamation (Tracks 1 -2)

Track 1, Far Beyond Divine Horizons, is the longest track, clocking in at 5 minutes. Things begin with a cool little growl, then breaks into heavy intrumental attack, complemented by a high pitched howl. Things settle down into their first chorus 15 seconds or so into it, with double bass and tom tolls really giving things a good feel. Not even 8 seconds of lyrics and we're into more interesting guitar switch-ups and VERY good drumming sounding straight out of a prog band. Reallly good solo comes in, followed by some blast beats, then into really fast and mesmerizing guitar. Vocals are sharp and harsh and really compliment the bands playing style. They deliver some more interesting solos and pounding drum n bass and eventually the song comes to a close.

Track 2, Fortune And Glory, features none other than the voice of fucking Darth Vader at the end! Bahahah, but Star Wars aside, this is my 3rd favorite song on the album. Starts out pretty fast and heavy, then breaks into some blast beats and vocals. Lots of double bass in this one. Around 1:40 they repeat this cool riff in a slower paced section, then into more of the usual pounding away. Just a really good headbanger with some of the most well executed vocals on the album.

Act II: Being Lead Astray (Tracks 3-5)

After recovering from the laughter of hearing Darth Vader in song #2, track 3, The Beauty Of Evil, opens right up with some really cool guitar parts. Their drummer does a cool thing where he alternates between bass pedals and toms for a minute, then back into pounding double bass. Around 1:40 they do a kickass high-pitched guitar thing that probably has some technical term for it I'm too stupid to know, then some pretty aggressive vocals, especially the howled vocals about 2:20. Closes with that cool guitar thing and then we move on to.....

....Track 4, Son Of Time. Begins a little slower with a weird guitar riff playing and slower drumming that sounds like a standard rock beat with some more technical cymbal work thrown in, then about 40 seconds we break into some heavy playing :). Not much really stands out about this song besides a kickass growl half-way through it and a groovy vocal section later on. Oh yeah, a cool high pitcheds olo thingy at the end. :P

Windwalker, song 5, is heavy and melodic sounding at first, then 20 seconds into it they do this thing that will make you shoot a load. Their drummer pounds the bass drum one each note, like duh, duh duh, then after 8 notes break into double bass and it's one of the coolest sounding things ont he whole album. Good percussion and guitar, then a little bit of a switch-up with some cool snare rolls and then things slow down a little. A minute into things we get a spiffy solo that sounds really good towards its end. They do that really cool drum thing again I talked about at the end and that's it. Short and decent instrumental track with a badass drum thingy.

Act III: Deities Overthrown (Tracks 6-7)

Track 6 begins with a short drum solo of him alternating between snare and tom while playing some double bass, then really weird but cool sounding guitar. Half a minute into it we get one of the best growls you'll ever hear, then some lighter guitars and heavy drums and bass. Short vocal section, then a nice little instrumental part. More vocals, guitars start getting more interesting. Next vocal sectin, we get a few instrumental pauses while Oscar delivers some of their fantasy lyrics and it works out really well. Dspite how repetitious the first 2 and a half minutes are it turns out really good. Later on we get what is probably the best solo on the album, it's really interesting, especially considering the excellent percussion int he background. They end it with some cool blast beating and that concludes my second favorite songs off FBDH.

On Blooded Wings, song 7, is about some creature named Skyhawk. Whatever, they do some really lyrics at the beginning where he gets some backing vocals and it sounds great. Then some great guitar that eventually changes pace a minute or so into the song. They deliver some cool distortion effects and good solos, some pauses with drum and bass while their guitrists pick away at the string, then into another one of those cool vocals sections where Oscar gets some backup. It ends with a superb instrumental section where they use some sort of picking techique, that again, most likely has a specific term I'm too lazy to learn. The last 10 seconds will give any seasoned metalhead a boner. :)

ACT IV: Rage Of Vinication (Tracks 8-9)

Tempt Not Thy Maker begins with a really soft and pleasant bass solo that lasts for 25 seconds, then into one of the fastest and heaviest moments ont he whole album. Double bass up your ass with excellent riff-work. A few vocals then things go out of control. Kick ass riffs here, furious bass over there, pounding double bass and a drummer who sounds like he is ADD and has a snare drum fetish! We get the coolest vocals on the whole album in this track along with a kickass growl that fades right into a solo. Good job, that kicked some ass! The solo keep sgoing though! It gets all high pitched and fast, like Yngwie Malmsteen given a shot of Death Metal. The end is just the standard heavy playing and the track closes, for what is my personal favorite song on the album.....

...Star Destrroyer! Begins with high-pitched, fast picking guitar that sounds badass. Next, a cool growl and real heavy playing. Break into a vocal section where the bass player really shines. Cool growls again! Madness! Good change ups with the drumming, going from perfectly executed blast beats then pounding doule bass, then back and forth. This is such a badass song, the ending is one of death metals best moments.

ACT V: Conclusion, The War Endeth (Track 10)

And Luke defeated Lord Vader and the ewoks lived happily ever after. :)

Not really, but this does start out with some goofy violin type opening, but it sounds really good and it's atmospheric and all that good stuff. Then they deliver the harshest vocals ont he album followed by somer eally cool guitar and heavy double bass. The solo on this song is odd, it starts really slow then goes to fast shredding, has a pause, then has some more faster stuff, slow a little, then fast again. I know you're probably confused but you'll understand if you hear it. :) Really good song that features some of the more technical drumming on the album. They use a cool sound sample at the end. It literally ends with a bang! :D

Far Beyond Divine Horizons is an excellent album. I highly recommend it to ANY fan of death metal. It's one of the heaviest albums I've heard and features much more technical playing than bands are using now, 9 years later. Despite some songs sharing similarities, it does have good variety, and sweet jesus do their guitar players kickass! Their drummer will gain a soft spot in any prog metal fans heart. I marked off for certain songs sounding a little too similar, the vocals getting uninteresting after a while and the lyrics being a little goofy and hard to follow. It deserves every bit of the score I gave it though. Now go, go off and buy!