A refreshing step from the norm - 89%

Deathcoreisnotmetal, September 4th, 2011

Crucified Mortal’s started their career before the “NWOTM” began (circa 2004), had they not, it is arguable that this album could’ve turned out far differently; perhaps even yet another Exodus worship band. Crucified Mortal’s were away from the scene, living under a rock; not knowing what was in at the time in the thrash world. Thank Satan for this, as they were away from the trends, ideologies, and influences that every neo-thrash band thought they had to follow. Granted, they don’t bring much new to the table, instead they went down the path that is not very often followed in thrash. This EP isn’t particularly heavy, technical, or even too fast for that matter, but fuck it is raw and evil. And with two of the three band member’s from Nunslaughter, how can you expect anything less?

I am close to convinced that this EP could be labeled as a thrash/death release. While it is obvious the sound is more heavily thrash influenced, the primitive sound of early death metal is more than apparent. It is as is Kreator and Autopsy had a love child so-to-speak. This goes beyond just the vocals, though I was close to being convinced Chris Reifert was the vocal work behind this. The instrumental work on this EP is what truly shares the death and thrash metal influences, with there being enough influence from both genres to no just classify this as straight up thrash or death metal. Again, while this is nothing new, it definitely has not been attempted by many bands; and an even smaller amount of bands are able to pull this mixture of sound off.

It is not to say that I am not fond of the established Bay Area thrash metal sound, but it is great to see a band that doesn’t try to copy the sound to make the 10,000th Bonded by Blood sound-alike album. Not many bands that have strayed away from the stereotypical thrash sound have made a name for themselves, but with bands like Crucified Mortal’s going against the norm hopefully we can see a rise to a “scene” of non-cookie cutter thrash bands. Suffice to say, if you don’t like traveling to far from the norm, musically, chances are you won’t appreciate this EP. But who knows, Crucified Mortal’s might surprise, and impress you. They sure did for me.