Fantastic EP - 80%

thejoker, August 5th, 2011

The second this disc begins to spin in the player, the listener is greeted with pure bliss in musical form. Yes, Crimson Moonlight strike again with tremendous Christian black metal that once again reminds the satanic scene that there is a light shining in the darkness.

Beginning with an instrumental dirge of slow and dripping folk guitar surrounded with monolithic anguish akin to My Dying Bride, Crimson Moonlight swiftly descends into an all-assault of pure black metal entitled "The Advent of the Grim Hour". I'd say the only other vocalist with as much range as CM's Pilgrim is Azahel from Frost Like Ashes. The vocals encompass everything from very Swedish black metal-styled turbo screams to deep death growls.

Instrumental-skill is absolutely top-notch here. These guys are skilled at their respective instruments and it shows. I'd compare the sound to melodic death metal played with blistering speed, all laced with raging shrieks and screams - a great mix overall. "Shiver in Fear" slows it all down a little with more of a mid-paced speed, while last track "Alone in Fear" ends with an almost quasi-Immortal sounding clean guitar riff straight out of "Sons of Northern Darkness" (think the clean break in "Tyrants" but minimalized). A great disc from start to finish.