Worth it for "Dream Dancer" - 90%

failsafeman, October 1st, 2009

For more information on Crimson Glory’s basic sound, check out my reviews:
Part 1: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2100
Part 2: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2099

Here’s the single from Transcendence, a re-mix of “Lonely” accompanied by “In Dark Places” and “Dream Dancer”, the latter of which was originally a non-album single from 1986 that coincided with the release of their self-titled. I guess they decided there weren’t any appropriately balladic songs on that album; “Dream Dancer” sounds as if it would be much more at home on Transcendence, and is actually a pretty solid song in the vein of “Painted Skies”, albeit significantly longer. The song sports a similar acoustic buildup, with the same kind of chorus melody for its heavy chorus along with similarly harmonized vocals. The main difference between the two songs is “Dream Dancer” really takes its time, clocking it at just under seven minutes, almost two full minutes longer than “Painted Skies”. This extra time gives it room to breathe and expand upon the musical, emotional, and lyrical themes both songs share. The intro is really atmospheric, with some whispered vocals, an effective technique not actually used in any other Crimson Glory song that I can remember. The delicate acoustic guitars throughout are great as well. I haven’t actually heard the version of “Dream Dancer” from the 1986 single so I don’t know if it’s any different from this one, but it really seems like a prototype for a songwriting style they would expand upon with their second album. It does feature the galloping riffs that were absent from Transcendence, however, which betray its time of composition. Lyrically we have another “mystical dangerous woman”, which is at least as good as any of the others Crimson Glory wrote.

The re-mix for “Lonely” however is pretty much what you’d expect: a radio edit which cuts out some of the soloing and gives it a more commercial touch with some keyboards, and while the song does get quite appreciably heavy on the album, here a lot of that is pared away. It’s still good, but there’s not a lot of point to it when you have access to the same thing but better on Transcendence. “In Dark Places” on the other hand is unchanged, so it’s still a very good song.

If you’re a fan of Crimson Glory, you definitely owe it to yourself to hear this one if you don’t already have “Dream Dancer” as a bonus track, or if you have the original CD release (as I do) and are wondering whether or not to purchase the Metal Mind re-release of the self-titled on the strength of its bonus track, be informed that you will not be disappointed. If, on the hand, you are wondering whether or not to get the Metal Mind re-release of Transcendence for the remix of “Lonely”, I cannot recommend it for that track alone. The original production on the second album is better as well, so the remaster doesn’t make as much of a difference. Anyway, it’s up to you; I bought both, simply because I’m that much of a fan.