A decent piece of work. - 75%

LingNemesis, October 19th, 2006

Despite much talk accusing the selling out of Suffolk's metal band, Cradle of Filth, I have decided to remain a filthest Order of The Dragon devotee, much to my reputation of Cradle of Filth Whore, and gotten myself their latest opus to date, Thornography.

Though lacking in vocal prowess on the part of Count Dani and the eye-pleasing display of wordplay, I must say I ain't *too* disappointed with this latest installment. Off the 12 tracks this ritual offers, I am utmostly satisfied with Tonight in Flames, Libertina Grimm, The Bryonic Man, Cetemetry and Sundown, and Under Huntress Moon. And I am equally, or not more, disgusted at their rendition of Temptation. It irks me off totally.

An analysis of how the whole album sounds here, Thornography departs what Midian or Nymphetamine offers: keyboards. The guitars takes centre stage, ripping your hungry earwalls off in their relentless barrage of assualt. Drums are prominent, providing ample backbone for the entire album. Vocals... Let me see. It is expected that Dani has past his glory days of a strong, full, shrieky vocal strength. What now left is a reminisence of low growls and not-up-to-scratch high shrieks that he used to be able to pull off with ease. This album also lacks the orchestral grandeur that Damnation and a Day possesses, which is both good and bad. Somehow, Under Huntress Moon reminds me of a good old classic, A Gothic Romance from their earliest of album, Dusk and Her Embrace.

The narrated poetry by Pinhead Doug in their so-called first instrument track (She Mourned a Lengthening Shadow from their 1997 EP V Empire was their first, ignorant fools), Rise of The Pentragram, was suspense-building ableit somewhat cheesy and unfiting especially the 'Peter Pan" part. Oh Hell, Dani, get your muses back... =)

I have yet to inspect the lyric booklet and its contents. However, I sincerely hope that the standard is still in tact and that I will not be hugely disappointed. In Dani, we trust. Heh!

In brevity, if you are new to the cacophony of Cradle of Filth, I strongly recommend you into getting this record, as it is highly accessible and not to hard to stomach for beginners. For hardened Filth followers who sought pleasures in their earlier works, like Midian or Cruelty and The Beast, I would part you with a word of advice that this is merely to add some spice to your array of Cradle records that you might want to maintain.

I rate this 4 filthy virgins, motherfuckers! Which translates to 75%.