Just As I Suspected... - 76%

langstondrive, February 5th, 2004

This is the logical next step for Cradle of Filth. The amount of progressiveness and segues in their previous work was sure to lead to something like this, and indeed it does on Damnation And A Day. I will get all of my complaints out of the way first so that the praise will leave you with a positive note on a fairly positive album. The segues suck, bottom line. Unlike GOOD segues, like Megadeth's "Last Rites" or Burzum's "Channeling The Power of Souls Into a New God", these really don't go anywhere. It wouldn't be so bad if there was one, but we have to sit through FOUR.

Also, the vocal mix is sometimes irritating. I am one of the 3 people on earth who can stand Dani's voice, but when they mix the high with the gay low growl he does, it ends up sounding pretty retarded. That about does it for the complaints. This album is nice because it manages to stay fresh, even throughout the course of a 6 or 7 minute song, due to the abdunance of changes and different riffs. The first song, "A Promise of Fever" is an exellent example, there are at least 3-4 good riffs in this song, and the pace never slows. The next song "Hurt And Virtue" is COMPLETELY different, with a rather Finntroll-ish feel to it. Skip ahead a bit..."Better to Reign in Hell" is pretty catchy with some nice drumming. Did I mention that the bass is more prominent in this album? It adds a nice touch and makes the music sound more full. Towards the end of the album, "Babylon A.D." begins with an incredibly evil riff and "The Smoke of Her Burning" closes the album in a big way, showcasing the typical CoF buildup to songs. Good album, obviously not black metal for the 2 people on earth that don't know that, but I would say it's probably less Faggothic than some of their previous stuff due to the abundance of real riffs.

Overall a good but not really that memorable listen.