Got balls? - 93%

LifeInAFireBox, January 20th, 2005

Let's not perpetuate the image of progressive/power metal being "wussy" by complaining about the "emotion" an album makes you feel. Besides, last time I checked, anger was an emotion. That being said - let's talk about the greatness that's found in Control Denied's The Fragile Art of Existence.

First off, the production here reeks of old school heavy metal. The drums sound crisp, and raw. The guitar just sounds ballsy as Hell. The bass sticks out in the mix, thankfully, because Steve DiGiorgio how some awesome parts here.

It is true, that this is not your typical progressive metal. It's heavier, bolder, and darker. But, I don't know that something not being typical was bad ... hm ... normally people who shun originality are known as close-minded. I personally, love this combo of power, progressive, and raw heavy metal.

Let's talk about Tim Aymar ... this guy must have balls the size of his head. He vaguely reminds me of Rob Halford, but with the Balls Meter on 14. (Sorry Preist fans, but I'd prefer Tim) He can scream, he can sing, his vocals soar. His vocals fit so keenly in this music, which is an amorphous kind music, adapting and merging a good deal of sounds, and different levels of heaviness. His voice is the same ... and can change appropriatly.

Steve DiGiorgio, what a bassist. He can throw at you some crazy fills, while still managing to uphold the kick of the music. That is something that is hard to pull off, and he does it well. His fills are awkward and jazzy, but never venture too far from the music.

Richard Christy, another superb musician. Again, his drumming could fit in with any metal band. Here, he plays the role of the classic heavy metal drummer, with a bit of crazy bastard in the mix. Any metal drummer should hear this guy. (If not adore him, too)

Of course, we have good ol' Chuck. A perfect proformance on his part. His guitar parts are SO heavy, especially for this style. He brings a little of his style over from Death, and adds a bit more progressive. His leads come at you at 1000mph, and they tear apart everyone that hears them. A performance that must be heard.

Yeah ... so I did a member by member, rather than a track by track, but ... you get the idea. This is music that needs to be heard. I am equally disappointed that this band is no more, as the legendary Death.