I still want more damnit! - 85%

Desiple_of_The_Ice25, August 13th, 2006

I am fairly new to Stoner Metal, and have had very few tastes for such genre. My first real hit of Stoner Metal was Bongzilla's Amerijuanican, and I absolutly loved it because of how mellow it was. It reminded me SO much of Black Sabbath's Sweet Leaf. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of it to keep me still satisfied. About a month or so later, I got to listen to Church Of Misery, and have to say, this is TOTALLY fucking awesome.

What I have noticed with this, is that this is not so much mellow stoner metal, but more catchy and rough. Rough not in the sense of sludge though like how Bongzilla's sound is, but rough as in HEAVY as hell. When I am stoned, and I listen to this, it makes me want to jam to it, but when I listen to Bongzilla, it makes me want to trip out in a hotbox. Either of them are great, even though I prefer tripping out. The catchyness of this album totally makes up for it.

I have to say that I love the vocals, I love the riffs because they are SO much more melodic in a groove-ish sense. You GOTTA love it. My favorite tracks on this album are Red Ripper Blues, Filth Bitch Blues because I would say that are what are the most catchy. As for the best example of Stoner Metal, the best track for that is Candyman, and El Topa because it's one of the more mellow tracks on here. El Topa being one of my favorites too.

BOTTOMLINE: Catchy, Rough, Great Vocals, Great Riffs, Great Drums, Hell, Why not just go out and give this a good listen to. If that's not what you're looking for, give it a listen anyways, it's not like you have anything to lose. You just might change you're mind after listening to this.