Still a Hatebreeder, but definitely Something Weak - 75%

Slasher666, June 1st, 2011

Children of Bodom, my god are we in for a treat. Or so it seems. Relentless Reckless Forever, one of the most anticipated albums still needs a verdict: "Was It Worth It?" Or was it just plain "Ugly"? Personally, I'm still trying to decide myself. On top of that, they make the album cover look like something from a k-pop music video, well that's a real kick to the dick isn't it? Can this be Bodom's "St. Anger?" We shall soon see for ourselves.

I feel like everything is completely different, Alexi's vocals have changed dramatically since the last album, I'm still having a hard time getting over it. It sounds like he's singing through a long plastic tube, of course I had friends of mine (who liked the album) make up shitty excuses by saying things like: "well, he's been growling for 12 years, what did you expect?" Bullshit, a steaming pile of it, I don't know if Bodom is trying to take another creative approach or if they have a shitty microphone production, for all we know it could be on purpose. Either get better equipment or lay off the smokes Alexi.

The songs seemed to have taken a bluesy approach in my opinion, take "Was it Worth it?" for example, bluesy riffs and such, that doesn't sound bad to me, but it gets to a certain point and by that point I mean when it starts to get old. Whatever happened to the band we once knew who played songs like "Lake Bodom" and "Deadnight Warrior". Now it's songs like "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide" and "Roundtrip to Hell and Back"? Give me a fucking break, seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album, maybe not love it, however it's worth listening to. This album isn't all cons, there's some pros, Bodom never ended up like Metallica, where everything went so shitty that it was sickening, they instead showed a good balance of melodic death metal and blues. Sure, this album could use some tweaking like getting better sound equipment, better titles and probably bring out some of their old roots. Some people even claimed to me (before I listened to the album) that it sounds like a mix of Something Wild, Hatebreeder and Are You Dead Yet? When I heard that I was all for it, but when I started listening I felt a bit disappointed, I felt that there were a lot of things missing. This just goes to show that there's a lot of room for improvement.