A real Shrapnel band. Evil too! - 90%

Xeogred, October 30th, 2007

"The war to end all the wars"

Chastain is still one of the most interesting bands I've stumbled upon that came from Shrapnel Records. As we all know Shrapnel werealways about the highly virtuous players (guitarists) from the metal scene and David T. Chastain himself is no exception. But just like the debut from Vicious Rumors and the two Chastain albums before this one, there's enough "band" here to create an incredible overall experience. There's no real wankfest to be found here.

I reviewed their previous release Ruler Of The Wasteland close to a year ago and my stance on Leather Leone has not changed one bit. She is by far one of the most powerful female vocalists out there and completely delivers on all levels, in fact I find myself paying attention to her phenomenal performance nearly more than anything else here. Imagine a female equivalent to Mike Howe of Metal Church's fame and you should have an excellent idea about her tone, range, and so forth. Kate French was not a terrible replacement, but hardly knows her profession as well as Leone did.

This album is still very much in a similar vein to their previous two releases, but there are several differences. That evil and dark feel to the whole experience is still definitely there, but its not quite as atmospheric as their debut. Not quite as "epic" you could say. Chastain's guitar playing is still completely top notch and this album is when he starts to bring in more neoclassical influences than ever before, which seems to carry on with their next albums as well. The production is another step up and probably among the best out of their discography. Everything is downright heavy and sharper than a steel blade, giving it a lot of that 80's edge that they ditch years later with For Those Who Dare. Simply put you can tell a lot of work went into this one. Everything is very well polished.

The music itself is again extremely consistent. Its hard to really classify them since they seem to barely find themselves slipping into power metal territory. Its just evil heavy metal that completely works. I'd have to completely agree with the previous reviewer about the instrumental 827; the track starts off a little typical with some shredding but after some given time it breaks into something truly marvelous and creative. Chastain's guitar work on this one is something that puts just about any of Malmsteen's best to shame and for a first its not all about speed. The absolute highlights to this album are the faster tracks, We Must Carry On, Paradise, It's Too Late for Yesterday, and The 7th of Never. Each song marches away with an incredibly catchy pace while Leone brings in those unforgettable choruses, the self-titled track itself is insanely memorable. Besides these tracks the rest are totally awesome as well, very fresh and unique. Forevermore will easily leave you craving for more.

Its pretty fascinating this band has an extremely huge lack of reviews on the archives. They are definitely a band any 80's fan should be able to appreciate at ease. With Leather Leone and the rest of the band they retained this weird dark and evil atmosphere that truly sounds like nothing else out there and that really sets them apart from the norm. Both Mystery of Illusion and Ruler of the Wasteland are just as great as this, but The 7th Of Never is probably the last classic release from the band. The Voice Of The Cult has its moments and is still easily something to get if you are a fan but you can tell their ideas are running out. With For Those Who Dare and on you may as well call them another band. Setting that story aside for another time, this is an instant classic that any metal fan should be able to enjoy.