Great traditional cult band - 80%

Xeogred, February 15th, 2007

After hearing this release and "The Voice of the Cult", I'm really surprised there's hardly any reviews for this band here, so far. This band has absolutely everything needed to be a great classic, out there with Omen, Attacker, Judas Priest, Metal Church, Iron Maiden, Jag Panzer, just to name a few. Although I've heard other albums from them probably just as good as this one, I decided to review this one first since its the earliest one I have, and kind of comes off as the most aggressive. The performance here with each musician is top notch, giving this a lot of energy and power. This album is definitely fast, furious riffs, quick combo's of drumming, and great melodic vocals are to be found here.

The one thing that impressed me the most about this album, and half this bands history is vocalist Leather Leone. If I didn't pay attention to the information about this band, and didn't know the vocalist is a woman, I probably would have had absolutely no clue. You can't really tell at all, and she's got an extremely nice and aggressive voice. Her singing could probably be best compared to David Wayne or Mike Howe, both from Metal Church. She can hit those high notes extremely easily, and carries them on effortlessly, and she gives off tons of aggression when needed. Her range is just downright awesome. I really didn't know what to expect when I saw the vocalist was female, but I was completely knocked out of my seat when I finally listened to them. Again, you can't even tell. Then again this could possibly be a minor and pointless detail for many out there. I just honestly have not heard a lot of female vocalists in my time when it comes to metal and my experiences with some (see Scanner's "Scrantropolis" album) weren't the greatest, but my opinion on what they can do changed with Chastain.

There really aren't any bad moments here on this album. The balance is nice, and this is overall top notch fast Heavy Metal. There's enough atmosphere here at times to give them kind of a dark image every once and awhile. There's even a few epic songs on here, like "The Battle of Nevermore". Expect a lot of choruses with the great Leone, but these definitely aren't filled with cheese or too happy for the picky folks. All in all, I think the majority of this band could be seen as Metal Church's sister (hence the female vocals!). The sound and styles are pretty similar, but Chastain manages to come off as slightly more straight forward and possibly easier to get into, not that Metal Church is bad in anyway (trust me, I love them). Definitely a high recommendation for the fans of traditional 80's metal.