Chaossworn - Chalice of black flames - 70%

Phuling, December 23rd, 2010

I remember to have at least heard of Cryptic Death, but I’m not entirely sure if I actually ever heard anything by them. But last year they changed name to Chaossworn, and this is the act’s debut release since. On beforehand I was promised by the accompanying flyer that it’d be black/death metal in the Swedish vein for fans of Dissection, Opeth and old Katatonia. Since all three bands have quite a varied sound I didn’t know what to expect, but I definitely didn’t expect it to be this melodic.

As Crowned and winged begets the EP I’m struck by very melodic riffing, with a melody and rhythm that I suppose can be attested to a combined inspiration by the latter two acts previously mentioned. But overall I find the opening track a tad mundane and uninspiring. Not for the lack of talent, but for the lack of brutality and aggression. It’s a slow to mid-paced tune, which is all fine and dandy, but doesn’t really pack a punch or provide anything all that interesting more than a few breaks that contain some wicked drum play. It’s not until Bringer of storms takes over and the blasting begins that I can fully appreciate their sound. The faster pace and riffing that focus more on sleek and malevolent melody, in turn creating a much more aggressive and fierce atmosphere, really does pack a punch. It feels a bit like mixing Dissection’s older material (meaning don’t take note of what they did after the reunion) with a bit of Lord Belial, and maybe even a dash of Watain. It is definitely melodic, but with quite a keen sense of what’s catchy and adds energy to the music. The ending track, which also happens to be the title track, is another slower one, where the opening riffing instantly reminds me of Dark Funeral. So it’s safe to say Chaossworn undoubtedly dabble with metal of the Swedish variant.

The production’s very clean, regards of herr Dan Swanö, but in my humble opinion a bit too clean. It’s by no doubt heavy and powerful, but with the very melodic riffing it becomes a wee bit too melodic on occasion. Vocally it’s utterly powerful, and I can’t help but love Anton’s ability to linger in between harsh, classic black metal shrieks and a husky, deep growl. He moves seamlessly in between styles, and it sounds oh-so-magnificent. More speed is pretty much all I could ask for, ‘cause they’ve got the writing skill, performance and technicality down.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net