Not bad, but wholly unoriginal - 55%

haikuholocaust, April 27th, 2004

Talk about a clone. Not only is Chaosbreed named after an Entombed song, they also sound pretty much identical to the band; the only differences being the vocals aren't nearly as good and, well, this album has been done before... by Entombed and Dismember.

Complete cloneage aside, this album really isn't bad. I mean, it's nothing new, but oldschool melodic swedish deathmetal is great, so a return to the style of old Entombed is something I welcome, considering Entombed sounds like they should be touring with Slipknot nowadays.

The guitarwork and drumming on Brutal are both pretty good, and the songs are fairly interesting with a lot of good thrashy/chugging breaks. Like I said, just imagine Entombed's Clandestine as about 70 percent of how good it actually is, and you get Brutal.

The album really had be through the first two songs (and really, it kept me interested throughout), as Casket Ride really is a highlight of the album. However, once track 3, Faces of Death, came around, I was taken aback. This song was great the first time I heard it, when it was released by Slayer as South of Heaven. Basically all Chaosbreed did here is slightly change the chord progression and change the lyrics; EXACTLY like South of Heaven, Faces of Death builds up to a set of majestic riffing then breaking down into chugging thrash. Not only was I taken aback by this blatant ripoff, I was laughing my ass off throughout the entire song. It actually kind of ruined the album for me, which is why I didn't give it the greatest rating. The album picks up after Faces of Death and continues to be a pretty solid effort, but that horrific lack of creativity/uniqueness just destroyed the whole atmosphere for me.