This kills... - 86%

SadisticOrgasm, April 3rd, 2011

Brutal death metal – over the years, this style of music has relatively grown real shitty with bands popping out in every corner of the globe imitating their influences, Suffocation or Devourment lets say, being vulnerably unoriginal, and each band ridiculously trying to sound more brutal than the other, that worship blast beats and toilet gurgles over anything and revere a shitty production as well. And good bands are always too hard to discover in a pile of this crap.

A good example of the latest brutal death metal gem is presented by this bunch of Scottish guys and girl called Cerebral Bore. This is a fast paced brutal death metal played in a blend of old school and technical death metal arenas as well. The foremost thing to say – there’s this bunch of riffing, which could sound hilariously ridiculous but still are too brilliant. They’re catchy and they’re thrown in a hyper speed. Think of None So Vile era Cryptopsy’s catchiness for that one, with extra slam death metal ingredients here and there as well, which could be sensed in breakdowns. There are a number of segments that run in relatively slower tempo, like in the opener of “The Bald Cadaver” which focuses more on groove, and again permits itself towards the ongoing speed in no time, still maintaining the catchiness. Just pop into the 01:45 mark of the very track and that could get me bang my head for every replay. For the brutality factor, they’re not too over the top, but not gentle in anyway either.

The band has turned their approach into more modern and brutal sounding death metal from their old school vibe demos, and well, that could be a welcoming transformation. Every second is adorned with this crisp, which is set by the cruelly neat and easy flow of instruments, which cope magnificently with one another. The drums are brutal and they do offer quite a bit of variations, and if you’re among those who is instantly turned off due to the employment of tedious amount of blast beats over and over the length, then you’re surely to be pleased here. This is no way a blast beat laden death metal, to speak. But again, as said above, what appeals me more to this are the intelligently crafted guitar riffs, where numerous chugs are also thrown at times. The guitars in general sound technical to some healthy degree, and which isn’t forced in anyway, and that’s always a good thing.

And fuck… the vocalist is a lady. I had no idea that such brutal guttural secretions I had been praising so long were coming out from a female’s diaphragm. Their Dutch vocalist, Som has well emitted decent pig squeals at times too, but forget them, I adore her growls and gurgles more, which could be some of the best throat assaults I’ve heard lately, be it from a male or a female. And not to praise the hyper-bass-slapper who has gratified me throughout the album.

All in all, although here isn’t any stand-out track or something, there is a satisfactory amount of variation here, which most of the later day brutal death metal albums lack, and which will not greet you with a bore anytime even along multiple listens. So to sum it up, if you even like death metal till a tiny bit of scales, then get this record already, bastard.

(- http://thesickeningart.wordpress.com)