Slam. - 100%

MutantClannfear, May 25th, 2011

Is there really anything else to say? That word alone describes the music Cephalotripsy play quite well if you ask me, because this band is nothing but slams. Literally. Even with the founder of the fucking genre, Devourment, one still has to place an addendum that the band uses just as many blasts as slams; even their signature song "Babykiller", the one pretty much every slam band on earth has used as a guideline for their own music, places blasts inbetween all of its slams. Cephalotripsy have apparently skipped this part of their musical formula. Do you know how many sections there are in Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies that aren't slams? I don't remember the exact amount, but there can't be more than four or five. And the ones I do know last about five seconds on average. For those of you keeping count, that's a full-length death metal album - 37 and one-half minutes in length - and only around 20 seconds of that is blast beats. Only 20 seconds of one of the defining elements of extreme metal. By that definition, one could reason that this band isn't death metal at all, but instead it's pure slam. But I suppose that doesn't matter - slam or not, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

The writers of this album are on a very fine line between writing nothing but slams and coming across as some of the most mentally retarded people on Earth. Cephalotripsy's music is what the most simplistic slam death metal bands on Earth aim for, and none of them will ever perfect the formula like this band has. Cephalotripsy have created what is by far the catchiest music to ever see the light of day, and lies just below Torsofuck in terms of heaviness and brutality.

The guitar riffs all chug along throughout the album, creating by far the best slams to ever grace the Earth in the process. Very rarely does the note the guitars are playing actually matter - the guitar tone, thick and groovy as it is, would in theory allow this band to play the same note throughout all these slams and this album would still be great. That is due in part to how well-composed these slams are: The slams do go into 4/4 every now and then, but the majority of them are played in 3/4 or 6/8, which is just how slams should be, as it makes them into the catchy monsters they are supposed to be.

The vocals on Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies are all inhaled, gurgling purrs. Surprisingly, they're pretty strong and forceful for inhales, and they manage to stay pretty high in the mix of things. There is also a prominence of guttural pig squeals on this album, and they are also well-performed. They're slick and clean without having any guttural overtones, and aren't particularly annoying as pig squeals can be if the vocalist doesn't monitor himself. Though this is one of the most slurred vocalists I've ever heard, I'm able to keep up with what the guy says more often than not. The fact that he can outdo ninety percent of all the slam vocalists on Earth and still retain enough diction for the listener to hear what he says is a definite plus. The drums are another defining element of this album: the kit is surprisingly clean for a slam album. Cephalotripsy's drumkit resembles a slightly trashier version of Abnormality's: extremely clean cymbals, but the snare resembles a wood block in that it has little to no resonance in the mix. This is a plus, actually, because it allows the drummer to play extremely fast fills on the snare without the clanking becoming a nuisance. My final comment for this album is that the production is perfect. Extremely clear given the standards for most slam bands; the guitar tone is superb; the mixing job is flawless. Nothing's too low in the mix, and I'm sure the band wouldn't have altered this formula at all were they to come back to this album.

This album earns a 100 from me because for all intents and purposes, it is perfect. Nothing on this album is boring at all, because the band apparently studied musical theory for just long enough to discover these fascinating concepts like 6/8 and 3/4. Cephalotripsy obviously aimed for something - creating the most slamming album of all time - while writing this release, and it has evidently paid off. This is the pinnacle of the genre of slam death metal - things can only go down from here.