Dont judge an album by it's cover; this is awsome - 95%

Unorthodox, March 27th, 2008

When you look at the cover of this album, it just misguides you as to what you’re in for when you listen to this album. The cover almost reminds me of the gothic art that is displayed on some Cradle of Filth album, with all their stereo-typical Goth chicks on the front cover. But wow; is this anything but that.

Then again, what is Anomalies really? I surely don’t know. Death/Grind? I think that title matches their earlier sound, but there is a pretty large amount of Death/Grind here, too. However, this album is too avant-garde to be just that. If anything, Cephalic Carnage just may be the Led Zeppelin of "death/grind", or even the Mr. Bungle. (At least from a lyrical perspective)

These guys are influenced by so much, and what's interesting is how they are able to keep their musical identity with all the different ideas going around in the album. In the beginning of the album you’re struck with some strait up Death Metal with the song “Scientific Remote Viewing”. It’s is actually one of the best songs here. Sure, it may not be Cephalic at their most unorthodox moments, but the structure here is really good.

And for even the first four tracks, it feels like you are getting to understand the band. But they totally surprise you out of the shitter with "Piecemaker". It has a completely different song structure from any of the previous tracks, and the whole first half of the song sounds like Kid Rock if he decided to go extreme. It's obviously a parody song, and they did a great job with the track.

After this song, things just get more and more experimental. Enviovore is like the other tracks before Piecemaker, but that's the last one of the kind. You get the song "Dying Will Be the Death of Me" which is a parody of Metalcore; so I think you understand what it probably sounds like (the song happen to make Cephalic Carnage famous, but I think that might have been because people thought they were being serious about the song). Inside is Out starts getting more progressive, with a longass eerie introduction. The song probably the most technical on the album, but strangely enough; this even has a little bit of breakdowns here and there.

Kill for Weed is the proof on this album that Cephalic Carnage doesn't really take much of anything too seriously, but if you cannot realize it by this point then you have a really bad sense of humor. And the next track "Litany of Behavior" is probably the most uninspired song on this whole album.

But at last you have "Ontongony of Behavior", which is my personal favorite on the album. It's a 9 minute epic doom/progressive track, and humor or no humor; the whole song just moves me. It's one of the best pieces this band has created, not only for being proof that these guys are an extremely creative force, but how many parts of this song has. The beginning really takes it's time, and then it slowly goes into this alternative rock part which gives it a bit more of an edge, but not to much to ruin the moment. Then it goes into this Melodic Death Metal part where the guitar is doing the exact same riff he was doing when he was playing the alternative part, and then gets even more extreme and goes into their Death/grind part. It's hard to explain, but even if you don’t like this band; check out this song.

Overall, this album is just really interesting. It has parts that really anyone can enjoy, and that's probably the big reason why the band has such a wide fan base. I couldn't think of another way to review this album without going track by track, and mainly because this album is so different from anything I've heard. Anyways, I hope you check out this album before any other album they've produced, because it's probably the best introduction to Cephalic Carnage.