Not quite as good as previous stuff from CENTINEX - 65%

dismember_marcin, March 25th, 2010

I cannot fully understand why band, which already managed to release a debut full length, is forced to record and release another demo in order to carry on their underground career and get a new contract? Shouldn’t a debut LP already speak for the band and the quality of their music? Unfortunately bad promotion from the labels led to many split ups. CENTINEX were unlucky to sign a deal with UNDERGROUND Records for their first album, but awkward promotion or rather complete lack of it didn’t help the band. Many groups that were in such situation ceased to exist – let’s mention GOD MACABRE, UTUMNO, WOMBBATH, EXCRUCIATE... But CENTINEX got this second demo done within few months after the album and “Under the Blackened Sky” quickly was taken over by WILD RAGS Records and released on professionally printed tape EP. This way CENTINEX was able to carry on their death metal crusade! Hell yeah!

But with all the high expectations I had after their superb “Subconscious Lobotomy” CD, this second demo doesn’t deliver as shredding music I would hope for. Don’t get me wrong – it’s still high octane Svensk Döds Metall, but in many details this demo fails. One of the most annoying things on it is the surprisingly bad production from Tomas Skogsberg. In many aspects “Under the Blackened Sky” sounds worse than “End of Life” demo, what may almost mean a regression! But the thing is CENTINEX somehow lost their energy and power with the production of “Under…”. It’s dry and rawer than the previous recordings and almost has the rehearsal feel to it.

But also songwise I can say about a small disappointment. These three tracks aren’t simply as good as I would expect! Sure, they may have some good riffs and stylistically may even differ from the previous releases, but I just cannot feel as excited about them as I did about “Subconscious Lobotomy”. If I said this demo differs, what I meant is that it sounds definitely more complex and technical than the previous stuff, in AFFLICTED style a bit, as there are frequent rhythm changes, more structured riffs and tighter drumming. But all that doesn’t totally impress me. Songs are decent, but nothing more than that. They just don’t shred anymore and even vocals seem to be lifeless here… Nowadays we all know how did CENTINEX story go and “Under the Blackened Sky” surely isn’t their best release. I can still recommend this demo to every collector, as its historical value is without discussion high, but if you want to really see how great CENTINEX was in their early period then get "Subconscious Lobotomy"!.