Dying Tickles! - 87%

PseudoGoatKill, October 25th, 2006

Listening to this album is alot similar to eating a delicious fat laden meal. After eating such a meal you'll feel full; and if you're smart you stop eating. Some of us however are not smart and we continue eating until it feels like our insides are going to explode in a glorious shower of blood and intestines.

What does this album have to do with dietary habits? Into the Pandemonium is like that delicious meal that could make you sick if you devour too much of it. I've had this album for a year now, and until now I could only listen to it once through. It isn't because the album is horrible, but because it literaly makes me sick. The tracks are so varied that it seems like Celtic Frost couldn't decide what style they wanted to play. Thankfully for this band they're talented enough to get away with mixing several genres that make absolutely no sense. (A good example is the song: One in Their Pride.)

This band has been heralded as the inventors of Avante Garde metal. Before that they were black metal, but apparently the members decided that was much too normal.

The guitar riffs on this albums are reminiscent of thrash and prog, but much more experiemental. When I say experiemental I don't mean that they played around with their guitar pedals to create some fucked up sound. No, it's more like they knew the rules of guitar playing and then broke them, but still made it sound good.

In fact let me blunt. They did this with all of the instruments. Studied them, and then broke the rules. Amazingly it sounds good for the most part. Highlights of this album include Mexican Radio; Babylon Fell; I Won't Dance; and Rex Irae.

Of course this album has it's share of "What the fuck was that?" moments. The first moment comes in by the song, Tristesess de la Lune. A somewhat amusing songs that sounds similar to an average highschool musical with the main female vocalist singing. Interesting, but was it really needed?

Then there's the two versions of One in Their Pride. An electronic hip hop song. Come to think of it one of the members of this band, (Tom I believe) is now always shown wearing a snow cap, and some weird corpse paint. Truth be told he looks like a grim, white rapper. Perhaps that and One in Their Pride is Celtic Frost's subliminal confession that they like hip hop. Nevertheless those two songs are like those Andes Chocolate Mints. Pretty nice, but not something you'd want to eat everyday.

This album would have gotten a higher score, but unfortunately Celtic Frost broke way too many rules. It's fantastic that they played a more unique style with the four main instruments of metal, but adding in a hip hop song and a high school musical song is just too much.

Recommended for abstract artists, vanilla icecream lovers; and metal heads with a secret love affair with hip hop.

Not recommended for normal people.