For I shall house nothing but Death - 86%

Storfeth, May 6th, 2013

In 2013, Celestial Bloodshed decided to release "Ω", which contains some previously unreleased tracks recorded before Steingrim Torson's death. An interesting move that surely brought the band in the limelight again. This album is identical to its predecessor in matters of length but the whole aura surrounding it is pretty different.

In this case, the band gives a ceremonial tone to the music, with slow songs and a respectable part of dissonance. Repetitive riffs that mesmerize and a clairvoyant atmosphere characterizes the guitar and bass lines of this work. Torson's vocals follow a relatively free form and at times they become "cleaner", creating the image of a preacher in front of a flock. The whole release flows really well and some outbreaks create the necessary diversity, with the distinctive example of "Deathsquad Alliance". It's fast and aggressive while the guest vocals of Hoath Torog from Behexen and other Celestial Bloodshed members give an interesting touch to the whole venture. Also worth mentioning is "Spiraculum Mortis" in which the vocals are performed by Azazil of Mare and it really brought to my mind "De Mysteriis dom Sathanas" of Mayhem. Of course this session appearance should not surprise anyone, since Mare and Celestial Bloodshed used to share some members.

Production during this recording was chosen wisely because, combined with the lyrics, it gives prominence to the satanic character of this release. All instruments are well balanced and drums sound firm and steady, keeping the pace with ease. The only exception is the closing track, "Trosbekjennelse", which was recorded in 2006 and has a really different production and sound. Although it is decent, I think it messes a little bit with the homogeneity of the album.

In conclusion I think that "Ω" is slightly inferior to the band's first work, mostly because of the immediacy and forcefullness of the latter that I enjoyed a little more. But still, "Ω" is a great record and I believe that this unexpected loss put an end to a band that could really thrive in the black metal scene. The only sure thing is that I found an album which will keep me company when nights become dangerously dark and ominous. Hail Steingrim Torson. Rest in peace.

Originally written for: The Lair of Storfeth