Where Roots Left Off... - 87%

Dasher10, March 24th, 2008

Let's face it, Sepultura wasn't Sepultura after Max left and while Derrick Green has a good voice and can write some cool riffs, he just isn't Max Cavalera. It's kind of like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, he's good but there's no way that he can replace a legend and I became a Soulfly fan after Roots and the fact that Igor left the band as well is just the final nail in the coffin for Sepultura for me.

Now that that's out of the way, how does Inflikted hold up as an album since it's just as much Sepultura as the titular band itself? Pretty damn well. Inflikted sounds like the missing link between Arise and Chaos A.D. with just the right amount of groove thrown in with the trash and even a few death growls put in to get even more out of that old-school Sepultura sound.

The title track that opens this album up features some kick-ass leads from Marc Rizzo that totally get stuck in your head and the album grips you from there. While some lyrics repeat in The Doom of All Fires which makes the song sound like it should have been saved for a potential second album, it doesn't detract too much from the album and there are a number of great moments that make up for it, like the incredibly thrashy Hex and the acoustic breakdown that ends Bloodbrawl that actually stands out in a musical environment that is oversaturated with breakdowns and doesn't sound contrived at all.

If you're one of those people who truly adores old-school Sepultura, then you absolutely need to hear this. It's got everything that made early Sepultura great while at the same time sounding fresh. It may not be the absolute best album of the year but I'll be damned if I said that it isn't buying.