Torture's too kind. - 79%

HomicidalBreath, October 2nd, 2013

I was a huge fan of Jason Decay's previous band Goat Horn before I discovered Cauldron. I really got into their first two full- lengths but oddly enough "Into the Cauldron" was the last release I got into. I look down on myself for this because this is one hell of an EP.

The main reason I love this is because it highly resembles Goat Horn whereas the others don't at all. By this I mean Jason doesn't just sing with his high- pitched clean vocals but he also uses his lower gravel- throated vocals which sound absolutely bad ass. Jason is also a spectacular bassist and always make sure you can hear that thick, heavy tone he's got. The bass lines are a huge highlight throughout this album. Not many of the new traditional metal bands in the past decade can even come close to his talent. The guitar work is quite average though. The riffs are very simplistic, generic and ones you've definitely already heard before. For example, the opening of "The Striker Strikes" is totally "Two Minutes to Midnight" just a couple notes changed. The one thing that makes up for this is Ian is a great lead player and this EP features loads of blistering guitar solos. The drum work is quite good, a few good double- kick parts notably in "Torture's too Kind" which is by far the best track here. Not much too say other than very talented drumming.

Overall, Cauldron weren't quite developed musically yet. Their full- lengths are definitely better and more original but "Into the Cauldron" wins in the fact it is much more raw and old school. I recommend this EP and Cauldron in general to fans of Angel Witch which is who they arethe most comparable to but also NWOBHM in general.