Burning desire to listen - 92%

ralfikk123, December 23rd, 2011

It's 2011, two years after the release of their first LP, and Cauldron puts out a second record called Burning Fortune. 'Chained to the Nite' was a really good album that was one of the few new heavy albums that broke off from the underground and got noticed. Many people said it was good while others said it was boring and tasteless, just like most of the so called revival bands. After months of digging through all these bands I came to a conclusion the there wasn't a revival at all. It was just a bunch of bands coming out at the same time and capitalizing on each other's moderate mainstream success (in the genre, of course). Ever since the release of the first lp, I wondered if Cauldron could capitalize on the success of their first album and release an another solid (at least) release.

One thing's for sure, I got what I hoped for. This album is a little bit different than the previous one and perhaps the most noticeable thing is the production. It's much clearer and as much as I hate to use this word, analogy. All in all, the overall production is just better sounding to the ear. The bass is more audible than before and the guitar is less overpowering. The drums are rather simple, yet powerful and heavy at the same time. I should also mention that this is the first time since a drummer other than Jason played on a Cauldron record. The vocals are also an improvement, and even though they pretty much retain the same high pitched sound, Jason has learned to control them and give them that needed polish.

One of the biggest strengths this album has (and Cauldron in general) is the songwriting. You don't come across a lot of bands that write well thought out lyrics that take more than a day to write. What do I mean by that? Take a look:

"Lost in an empty room
The scent of her perfume
Has guided me so far away
Hard to face another day

Time does not help to mend
Continue to pretend
That you can cure as you redeem
Everything's not what it seems"

Lyrics like this are all over the album, and you can see that a lot of effort was put into them which is why Cauldron is a unique band in that aspect. A lot of it is about general, non-fiction issues that affect our everyday lives: relationships with others, life in a band, struggling, and not knowing what will happen to you in a matter of 10 years. Life is a gamble, and this is what Cauldron does best. Their songwriting is unmatched when it comes to newer albums.

To sum things up, if you are a fan of heavy metal, I recommend you get this album. There are a lot of cool songs that really shine, and while originality is not the greatest aspect, it's still a very good album. With great songwriting and structures, I'd say this is one of my favorite albums of 2011.