Carpathian Forest - We're Going To Hell For This - 80%

ravenhearted, October 30th, 2007

These perverted hell-raisers should need no introduction, but just in case some Black Metal newcomers are reading, I'll give you a short summary. CARPATHIAN FOREST was formed somewhere between 1990 and 1992, and released several demos containing Black Metal largely dominated by acoustic guitars and grim atmospheres. In 1998 they released their first full-length, “Black Shining Leather”, which also took them in a more riff-based direction. This evolution continued on the following albums, and they developed a style which can best be described as punkish Black Metal, or something along those lines. Their lyrics also embraced a unique style, describing perverted and twisted sexual acts instead of the usual overly serious satanic imagery used by other Norwegian bands.

“We're Going To Hell For This” is a collection of demo and b-side material, as well as some cover songs and live recordings. The first three tracks are previously unreleased, and provide some excellent and somewhat catchy tunes that encompass everything CARPATHIAN FOREST is about. I couldn't imagine many other bands getting away with lyrics like “You are a fragile flower/So innocent and pure/Feel it in your bowel/Tight rectums bleed for sure” without just coming off as idiots. Hellcommander Nattefrost and his crew somehow manage to pull it off though, but then again CARPATHIAN FOREST were never about the deep philosophic subjects. The fourth track is a re-recording of the classic “Bloodlust & Perversion” originally from their 1992 debut demo bearing the same name, and proves that they haven't lost track along the way. The three cover tracks are all quite solid, and they manage to incorporate their own sound into classics that should be familiar to all Black Metal fans (except the somewhat surprising yet just as good DISCHARGE cover).

“The Good Old Enema Treatment” is a continuation of a track from 2000's “Strange Old Brew”, and consists of somewhat disturbing audio samples (as hinted at in the song title) coupled with a church choir. The “song” is followed by a series of live tracks, and anyone who has seen the DVD “We're Going To Hollywood For This” already knows that CARPATHIAN FOREST can put on a real show. The recordings are of high quality, with Nattefrost thoughtfully announcing the name of every song as they progress, and it just goes to show that these guys work just as well on the stage covered in corpse-paint and blood as in the studio with their privates dangling out of their underwear (see the bonus material of the aforementioned DVD). The final track, “Death Triumphant”, shows the atmospheric side of the band, with a grim and bleak riff that culminates into a saxophone (!) solo accompanied by a rolling bass and some strange audio samples that sounds like they're taken from a sleazy b-movie.

All in all “We're Going To Hell For This” is an excellent monument to the many faces of CARPATHIAN FOREST, and serves both as an excellent introduction to new fans as well as being an essential release in the collection of any fan. I wouldn't have minded seeing more new material on this album, but as far as compilations go this is a good retrospective on an interesting and seriously demented career. However, if you can't stand the crude humor of the band, I'm sure they're more than willing to shove items of various shapes and sizes into your rectum to show you how much they care.

(Online October 30, 2007)

Ailo Ravna

Written for the Metal Observer.