Evil - 92%

Vansoth, March 18th, 2005

I recently bought this album, along with Emperor's Wrath of the Tyrants and Vader's The Beast. I was not impressed at first, but it grew on me. The first thing that came to my head when I heard this album was its more riff based, "hard rock sound" While not accessible at all, it has a more traditional sound then many BM albums. The vocals are excellent, very harsh, but also versatile, inserting evil laughs and spoken word passages.

The first track, Skjend Hand Lik starts out excellent with a nice opening riff and some nice vocal screams, and proceeds through, sounding excellent, Humiliation Chant is similar. Spill the Blood of the Lamb, has a very harsh production and simply GRINDS. It’s my favorite track on the album. Nice blasting too. It has an excellent spoken word passage. Martyr/Sacrificulum, a live one sounds excellent too. But after this, We get to hear the sought after "Bloodlust and Perversion" demo. This honestly doesn't do anything for me. It is somewhat boring, and has an extremely bass heavy production that drowns out the drums and makes most of the songs sound very similar. The demo has a very evil sound, but somehow it doesn’t excite me. Still, this cd is excellent, a must for any fan, and just an overall great album. Plus the DVD kicks ass.

Evil surrounds you - 93%

Herbstleyd, September 23rd, 2004

Carpathian Forest is back, as always with the anti-human /anti-life enigma that is Hellcommander Nattefrost... CF states in the now legendary Bloodlust & Perversion, that they don't make "Grinding or Brutal Music..." "...They make fucking Evil and Epic Black Metal"..

Guess what ! Over a decade later, they still don't! This is a kind of greatest hits from the Forest, and it's a pretty good place to start if you want to learn about the misanthropic master-minds of Nattefrost and Nordavind. Apart from the DVD, which is a steal for the money, this pretty much sums up what you can expect if you consider purchasing additional material with this unique Epic BM-band.

Besides the 6 gloomy tracks, you get an even better version of "Spill the Blood of The Lamb", the infamous "SKjend Hans Lik" and a live-version of Martyr/Sacrificulum. On top of this, there's also a video segment with the self-titled song. "Woods of Wallachia", taken from Bloodlust and Perversion, is the most evil bm song I've ever heard, and is easily worth 30 points alone..

My only critique of this CD is, that it doesn't serve any particular (beyond the Bloodlust & Perversion-tracks) use, if you're already the owner of "We're going to Hollywood for This", the abovementioned DVD. But it's a must-have for all fans of the band, and a good place to start if you're new to the world of BM's Transilvania-worshipping satanists.

On additional note, this CD is limited to 999 copies