Colombian Sickness - 90%

brutalfritzy, October 16th, 2007

Carnivore Diprosopus, a Colombian band I felt I really had to check out since I liked other Colombian bands, like Amputated Genitals, Suppuration, Purulent, Ancient Necropsy etc...

This album consists of extremely groovy and catchy guitar riffs, somewhat memorable and unique. Fans of Dying Fetus, Soils of Fate and Degrade would probably love this! Some fast picking riffs as well, but the slam riffs are more prominent.

The drumming is basically two parts; ultra-brutal slamming groove beats, and blast beats/double bass. The drum sound is typically "South American" - shallow snare drum without any snare wires. Just like Amputated Genitals, Brodequin, Degrade, Glossectomy and other similair brutal DM bands. Farily tight and original drumming, overall!

The vocals is maybe the least outstanding thing with this album. They are pretty low in the mix, and the pitch of the vocalist is very low too. Vocal patterns mostly follow the guitar riffs, and it's 100% guttural vocals, no pig squels or screams or anything like that. Pretty "standard" vocals.

Overall a very good album I think, the slams are very catchy and pretty unique. Fans of bands such as Soils of Fate, Glossectomy, Vomit Remnants, Disconformity etc. won't be disappointed! The sound production is really decent, and the musicians are good at their instruments. The only "negative" thing I could see about this band is maybe their lousy song titles - "Skinned A Crazy Fat", "Dancing with My Son's Corpse" etc -you kind of get an idea how these guys' english education has been... I'm also not a very big fan of all these samples from movies and stuff. But don't let that scare you. One hell of a good band!

Definitely check out this album if you consider yourself a fan of slam death metal.

Macabre Improvement! - 90%

AtteroDeus, October 6th, 2006

Let's face it... slamming death metal can get old really quickly once you get over-exposed to it, so it takes something special to get your attention to stick with a particular band.

Some bands seem to take that to mean that they ought to lengthen their 'breakdowns' and make them so mind-numbingly long that you forget what song you were listening to in the first place. Others just seem to think that playing mediocre riffs in between generic bouncing hooks also makes good slam death.

To me and my ears this does not work, and fortunately Carnivore Diprosopus's writing ability means they forgo instantly dropping off the radar, although the constraints of the ultimately utterly diabolically poor production job on the band's debut album no doubt almost annihilated any semblance of there being anything of worth with this particular band.

So it was down to in effect a chance meeting of myself and a seemingly mystical vendor at an brutal death/grindcore festival I attended over the summer, that I actually came to change my view on this band.

Where in the instance of the first album, you had to practically strain to hear anything that sounded good to your Slammotorax (slam death sensitive organ just below your pancreas) which even then sounded like a bad Devourment rip-off; this album - complete with obligatory goresoaked samples and intros, which surprisingly actually suit the music rather than detract from it - manages to pretty much encompass the evolved more well-rounded Carnivore Diprosopus package.

'Proper' (ie polished) artwork gives the first hint of a step-up from it's predecessor, but it's the immensely noticeable loss of whatever restraints forced the use of the production techniques/ sound on the first album, and the addition of a far more competent not to mention brutal sound job that does the most to help the band's underlying capability shine through.

If I'm honest, I personally prefer this to the band that is possibly lauded as being the slam death band de rigeur - namely Devourment - as whilst the aforementioned band seem to be about inane rattling ("blasting") in between meatheaded breakdowns, Carnivore manage to actually do things in between slams to actually stitch the whole affair together into one rather seamless tapestry of brutal 'slamming' death metal.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that just calling them 'slam death' is a detriment to the work that's evidently gone into the band being an 'all-rounder' - or maybe it's just a side-effect of the bands writing ability that they can craft the pumping grooves and pull off the in-between bits just as well.

All in all, I'd have to recommend this album to pretty much any of the brutal death afficianados I know personally, and those strangers I don't, as so long as you're not some old-school elitist and enjoy bands that clearly enjoy what they're doing, then I defy you to listen to this album and not find something that you can genuinely admit to liking / loving.

Very much improved release from the band and hopefully the first of plenty more!