Trendsetting and unequalled - 99%

morbert, February 13th, 2008

I remember when this album came out and first hearing the intro of opener “Reek Of Putrefaction” oozing from the headphones at the local record shop where I was checking it out together with two friends of mine. I didn’t know what hit me. Previously the dirtiest metal I’ve heard was the Obituary debut album. But this!?! This was beyond everything else. Since that day I have considered Obituary choirboys when discussion really filthy death metal. "Reek Of Putrefaction" was so creepy, so disgusting yet so addictive.

There have been legions of bands that attempted to copy this album and only a few such as Haemorrhage partially succeeded once in a while. But they will always remains clones of course. This simply was a trendsetting release. Carcass had been influenced heavily of course by Repulsion, Master and the early British grindcore scene, but with “Reek Of Putrefaction” they did in fact set a new standard.

The production works perfectly. Even though it is horribly filthy one can still hear and follow all instruments. The three way vocals gave the songs an extra dimension and the songs themselves are a perfect blend between grindcore and death metal.

One can only worship the moshing midpaced riff in the middle of “Excoriating Abdominal Emanation”, the creepy riff on the chorus of “Swarming Vulgar Mass Of Infected Virulency”, the brilliant weird solo on “Cadaveric Incubator of Endoparasites” and the well worked out build-up of “Empathological Necroticism”. Everyhting falls into place and a lot of interesting things are happening on the album within this assault of goreness. Who needs Michael Amott anyway, right?

If you’re into filthy, dirty, original, trendsetting prehistoric death metal, you cannot do anything but own this album and play it regularly.