This Is More Like It - 80%

corviderrant, December 1st, 2005

If this had been Carcass' first release, this would have given them a better name. Everything about it is superior to their messy and sloppy debut--the production is much cleaner (relatively speaking) though thinner than following albums would become, the musicianship is much improved. Even Ken Owen, though he still comes unglued here and there, had become a much tighter drummer by the time this album came out.

Bill Steer had a much better command of his instrument by then as well, and actually plays solos, some of which are actually melodic as well as noisy. The vocals are the most obvious improvement--you can actually discern them from the rest of the music here, and the sickness really comes out and shines because of that. The lyrics are about what we came to expect from Carcass at that time, more medical terminology gone wild, and because you can understand the vocals a little better ("a little" being the key words there), they seem that much more disgusting for it.

The riffs are more the complicated and convoluted variety that they evolved into playing, showing off the fact that they improved so much so fast. They actually have dynamics and order on this album, and it's a welcome change from the debut. The riffs are actually well-arranged and something resembling, well...memorable. The introductory guitar riff on the second track still rings in my mind even years after the fact. Lots of blasting still on display, but tempered with slower parts and even some mid tempo thrash parts here and there. And the fact that Colin Richardson had upgraded his console as well as gotten some more experience producing and mixing by this time showed very well.

This is the album to get by Carcass, for my money. It has all the classic elements--crazy riffs, demented gurgle/rasp vocals, varied drumming, and sickening lyrics--on a much better display than they'd been before. It is also right before they went more melodic with "Necroticism", my favorite release of theirs, so it is a turning point for them as well. I highly suggest that you consider this the first proper Carcass release, in my opinion.