Carcass at their finest. - 88%

SpookyApparition, July 14th, 2002

A midpoint between Carcass' early grind albums (Reek, Symphonies), and their more melodic albums (Heartwork, Swansong), Necroticism offers the best of both sides of Carcass. The somewhat free-flowing song structures from the grind days are still present, as are Bill Steer's ultra-low bellows (which, along with Jeff Walker's rasps, are still belching out obscene lyrics). With the addition of guitarist Michael Amott, much more melody was injected into the band's sound, which would be explored further on Heartwork.

Steer and Amott's guitar interplay is one of the most enjoyable aspects of Necroticism. Every song has great leads and riffs, which are split almost 50/50 between the two guitarists. Leads are usually of the melodic variety, with the occasional pinch harmonic or whammy bar squeal adding the death metal edge.

The other drawing point of the album for me are the vocal performances of Walker and Steer. The two members often trade off vocal lines, at times creating very memorable and catchy patterns (Corporal Jigsore Quandary). Necroticism is definitely a landmark death metal album, and while it didn't have the initial large impact that Heartwork had on me, I'm sure I will be listening to this album much more often in the long run.