A Mouthful That's Also a Masterpiece - 94%

MetalHeadNorm, May 30th, 2009

This review was originally written for http://www.MetalNeverLies.com

Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious (1991) is definitely... interesting to say the least. I couldn't tell you what the name of the album means, and I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't either without using a medical dictionary. There is a lot to say about this CD. First of all, it was released in 1991 – which was a great year for the world of death metal. Second of all, this CD was released between two very influential albums one of which is Gore/Grind and the other of which is Melodic Death Metal, but it's style is stuck somewhere between the two. Carcass had such a unique style on this album, and that is one of the reasons that this release is so enjoyable.

Carcass decided to include spoken audio tracks at the start of some of the songs on this CD. They're pretty cool and sometimes add a lot to the tone and feeling of the song, but some of them seem forced. This isn't a big deal, but it definitely is a cool approach that could've probably been handled slightly better. For the record, the spoken audio tracks at the beginning of the first and second songs are the ones that are pulled off the best. “Inpropagation” is the first song, and it's amazing. The drum work fits brilliantly with the brutal riffs. The guitars have a certain tone all throughout the album: they sound as if they're grinding down skeletons with their riffage. Maybe not, it's hard to explain, but it's definitely a cool tone that adds a lot to the music. The vocal approach is grotesque in the best possible way anything could be described as such. There are plenty of guitar solos for everyone in these epically long and brutal songs. “Corporal Jigsore Quandary” is the next song, and wow, it's relentless. The pounding drum beat at the beginning is more than enough to get me pumped. Also, both in the first song, this song, and just about every song to follow, the riffs are actually catchy and you will notice a slight turn toward melodicness which really adds a lot of interesting parts into this CD.

Most songs are similar on this album, but another stand-out track is “Carneous Cacoffiny” and the reason this track stands out to me is because it's borderline creepy. Let me explain, this song is about writing a masterpiece of music played on strings made from human remains. When I listen to this song, I feel as if the band actually went out and murdered somebody and then proceeded to craft an instrument from their corpse, and they are recording the song with that corpse-instrument. Just, the solos and melodic riffs sound like the guitarist is saying “Look at me, I'm playing this on a corpse-guitar!” I don't know, it creeps me out sometimes, but that's a good thing because it adds more to the music.

Moving on, “Lavaging Expectorate of Lysergide Composition” is the shortest track at four minutes, then the album finishes up with “Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article” - which is a great ending song for a great CD. I can't really describe all the feelings that this CD gives me. It's creepy, yet at the same time catchy and highly headbangable. That's all I can really tell you, you'll have to hear this album for yourself. Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious (1991) is definitely a classic, and arguable Carcass's best work. If you're looking for something new to listen to, I'd definitely recommend giving this a listen.