I'd rather listen to clones. - 65%

Djavul, April 16th, 2006

Okay, I love Gore Metal (the sub-genre this album spawned,) but I really don't get why everyone thinks this is one of the best CDs ever. All I'm hearing is a bunch of mid-paced plodding throughout the whole album. From listening to this CD, all I can remember is a couple riffs from "Corporal Jigsore Quandary". The rest just blurs together.

I admit, Impaled is one of my favorite bands, so I guess I'm comparing this album in reverse. But the way I see it, just because you're the first to do it, doesn't mean you're the best. I respect this album for how original and influencial it was, but I still find it pretty boring to listen to.

So many riffs here are just random notes in chromatic scale at mid-tempo, that are completely immemorable. Most of the album just plods and plods along, and I can't even remember what I just heard. There's some good parts, but then it just goes back into a verse with a lazy, boring riff behind it.

I guess if I would have heard this album before all the clones came out, I would have been impressed. When I listen to it now, I just can't help thinking it's boring as fuck compared to Impaled, Aborted, Exhumed, etc.