The Epitome of Symphonic Black Metal - 99%

IndividualThought, May 20th, 2012

"Where the Corpses Sink Forever" is Carach Angren's third studio album; it's an album with a mixture of strange elements. These dutch metallers can't get any better. A perfect amalgamation of symphonic music and black metal. Namtar's drums, Seregor's guitar and vocals, and Ardek's orchestrations make this an album every metal enthusiast should own. And what an interesting album title, might I add. That alone should prompt you to purchase it.

To start off, I would like to type that I'm very fond of the lyrical choice for this album. Their previous albums were made up of ghost stories and legends; this time around they decided to take a more realistic approach; WWII and the horrors of living through it. (I know I'm not the only one that loves their story-based albums) An amazing choice and a gripping theme. Anybody that's interested in history or historical fiction will definitely be hooked, just like I was (I wonder if I've slept yet?... haha! Nope).

Seregor's vocals here shine like no other, they are strong, overwhelming (in the good way), shrieked, growled, perfected. His singing range is magnificent especially in tracks like "Lingering in an Imprint Haunting." That vocal solo he has about a minute into the song is beyond words, with only the drums to back him up. Also, the vocal solo in "The Funerary Dirge for a Violinist" at about four minutes and thirty seconds in, with only the orchestration to back him up. He's definitely one of my favorite extreme metal vocalists. His devilish laughter creeps me the f*** out. Still a good thing in my book, err, review.

Seregor's guitars, on the other hand, are basic, but fit perfectly, nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. Your average black metal tremolo picking and chugs, and riffs that are inspired by melody. His guitar playing is not wasted though, he has moments in which he shines throughout the album.

Namtar's drumming stands out yet again, like on all of their other releases. Namtar is a magnificent drummer; he's fast, agile, precise, his timing is perfect and his style is bombastic enough to keep your attention alone. I'm hoping for an entire music video in which he just looks at the camera and drums the entire song. I am throwing all my money at the screen as I type.

Ardek's orchestrations are what make the album so amazing. They give the album a well-needed epic feel, I mean it is about a world war after all! It should have that epic feel to it. They are perpetrated perfectly and are always usually present. They aren't overwhelming enough to detract from the other instruments though, so don't fret. I'm hoping for an all symphonic music release from him very soon (still throwing my money at the screen). These guys define symphonic black metal.

To reiterate, these guys put the 'symphonic' in 'symphonic black metal'. With their amazingly perfected style, their unique approach on a relatively old sub-genre, with every track being a highlight, these guys are going to be metal-gods in no time. Hell, it's a wonder why you're still reading this review, go out and buy it now!