Well this is different...but good - 89%

MonolithofDeath, December 28th, 2004

This was the first Cannibal Corpse album I bought. I had already heard a lot of older Cannibal Corpse songs but I couldn't stand Chris Barnes' vocals. I have grown to like them now but at the time George Fisher was way better in my opinion. Now I like them both for the different ways they sing. After The Bleeding Cannibal Corpse had slowed down a lot. If they hadn't booted Barnes after that this album would probably have been a lot like Six Feet Under's releases. Their style has changed. They are more about speed and technicallity instead of the heaviness (which is still there) you might be used to on albums like Butchered.. and Tomb. There are a lot of great chunky riffs on here, I especially like the pinch harmonic parts on Perver Suffering. Good solos too.The bass playing is still insanely fast, and the drumming is about the same as every other Cannibal Corpse album, blast beats. The vocals is where this album shines for me. From the insane scream in the start of Devoured by Vermin to the last shrieks of Monolith you can't help but love Corpsegrinder. They even wrote a song about a woman being the killer (see Orgasm Through Torture) which has never been done by them before. For the most part the lyrics aren't quite as disgusting as those on previous albums but are still pretty gross. If you are a fan of Cannibal Corpse or want a change from the old Cannibal sound, pick this album up.