Cannibal Corpse Gives a middle finger to nu-metal - 90%

Emoholocaust, November 19th, 2007

Cannibal Corpse have been experiencing a career revival of sorts recently with their last album "Kill" and rightfully so as that album is clearly the best thing released by a classic death metal act in quite sometime. But I read an interview with bassist Alex Webster recently where he was asked which of the Cannibal Corpse albums had been the most overlooked, his answer was "Bloodthirst". He also said it was a low point in sales for the band as well. I couldn't believe it because as much as I like "Kill", I feel this album is the peak of the albums they've put out with George Fisher.

Lets take a trip back to 1999. Megadeth releases "Risk", Machine Head releases "The Burning Red", and acts like KoRn and Limp Bizkit become the 1st names people think of when they hear the words heavy metal. Not a good time for any real metal releases let alone a Cannibal Corpse album, especially one as brutal as this one.

I think one of the reasons this album sounds so brutal is Colin Richardsons's clear but still heavy production. Most fans were put off by the muddy sound on "Gallery of Suicide" but the band rectify this on "Bloodthirst". Also the album clocks in at under 35 minutes so Cannibal Corpse wastes no time with experimentation here, they just keep it a brutal high paced listen the whole way through.

Finally theres the songwriting, which on this album is top notch. Tracks like "Pounded into Dust","Coffinfeeder","Ecstacy In Decay",and "The Spine Splitter" all will make you want to destroy everything around you, not to mention pound the face of anyone in range.Death metal can get repetitive and stagnant but Cannibal Corpse make sure to hold your attention the whole way through this album.

1999 may have been a dark year for real metal but this release and Testament's "The Gathering" showed there big name acts still making real heavy metal and saying fuck you to the trends at the time.So if your looking for a great death metal album and you really don't want some bullshit like Job For A Cowboy check this one out, I guarantee you'll be satisfied.